1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR22 very sluggish. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tadtv, May 11, 2009.

1. tadtv

tadtv Cool Member

May 11, 2009
    My Hr22 HD box is very sluggish when it comes to navigating through my now playing list. There's a second and a half delay and to go down five spaces, it takes either five keystrokes, or holding down the key for three seconds and then it skips by it. My Directv TIVO was very fast and responsive. This thing is driving my crazy. It has such lag- especially when deleting. Is this normal? Can't wait til the new Tivo comes out.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    There have been reports on the forums that the HR22 isn't as snappy as even the HR20. Check around for more comments.

You do know that you can use the ch up/down buttons to scroll the now playing list, right?

3. tadtv

tadtv Cool Member

May 11, 2009
    Yeah that's what I use becasue the other is so slow. I find myself having to think "hmmm it's in the middle of the page"- do I hit page down once and then up arrow twice or is it faster to hit down arrow fours times? Too much thinking while in TV brain dead mode. How about just make a damn responsive product instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMAGINE IF DIRECTV MADE A PIANO- WOULDN'T THAT SOUND THE BALLS!

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Your's and other's complaints I've read about the HR22 is what's making me not want to get another DVR. My HR20 seems to be more responsive than what you described about the HR22.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive actually been tempted to pay another $5 a month and get a H23-700 for surfing, since my HR22-100 and now HR20-700 are so darn slow and aggrevating. Anyone with a H23-700 please comment and let me know if its snappy.

6. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    The HR20s are faster than the newer models because they had two separate processors that were combined into one in later models. A lot of people complain about the HR22, but I haven't seen any specific evidence that the HR21 or HR23 is faster. My two HR22-100s are reasonably responsive. I've never needed to count steps like you describe, so there seems to be other factors at play that lead to sluggishness, making it difficult to make direct comparisons between the models.

7. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have a HR20, 21 and 22. At various time the guides all seem to be slow.

8. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    1-1/2 second delay? Wish mine was that fast. I often have 5 to 10 second delays responding to a button press on the remote.

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    As they say around here, Your mileage may vary...

While not speed demons, both my boxes are fast enough that I don't have to pull my hair out as I scroll around. I don't see 5 to 10 second delays.

I would say that the speed of my HR22 isn't any slower (or faster) than my HR21.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    IMO, this is a software issue. DirecTV seems to go in cycles, where they'll release new features that affect performance, and then tweak the performance once the new features work. Then they add more new features, and it starts all over again. It's the downside to ongoing development...

11. alv

alv Godfather

Aug 13, 2002
    It also depends on how full your hard drive is. As you get near 1/4 empty space it slows down.

12. ndark

ndark Cool Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I have had an HR23 (went out on me and replaced) and now have an HR22. The 22 is much faster. Could be because I got a crappy HR23 that eventually went out but in my experience the 22 is faster.

13. ASAOG

ASAOG AllStar

Oct 7, 2008
    I received an HR22 about 4 months ago as a replacement for an aging HR20. The HR22 seemed sluggish almost immediately, but lately it seems super slow (up to 5-10 second delay). I have tried reboots, deleting stuff from the hard drive and nothing seems to help. The slow channel surfing is the most frustrating thing. Channel changes are also very slow. Everything else seems OK. Software has been updated 2 times since I got the HR22 and that did not seem to help the slow operation.

14. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    I've been experiencing slowness in my HR21 units lately. I installed new batteries in the remotes thinking that was the problem but it wasn't.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks for the reply, but Im trying to find out if the H23-700 (Receiver/ NOT DVR) is snappy..I would use it for surfing, and let the DVRs do their slow crawling recording stuff.