1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR23-700 Dead ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thekochs, Aug 31, 2014.

1. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    OK...been awhile since I've been here.
    I have three HR23-700s and working great forever.....connected to Whole-Home.
    Today I cam home and one of the three appeared dead.....no lights, no nothing.
    I unplugged and left for 10+ minutes and plugged back in....nothing.
    I tried pushing/holding power button on front....nothing.
    Any ideas ?.......and HARD reset secret key combo to try ?

I do have the monthly maintenance (DIRECTV Protection Plan Monthly) so I guess next steps is to call DirectTV and have them replace the box ? Any guidance I'd appreciate.
    Also, what box will I get ?

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Lucky you, HR23 are slow. You may get an HR24, they are much faster. Cant say for sure.

3. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    No other secrets to try to make 100% sure it is truly dead ?

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Give it overnight? Make sure the breaker to that outlet hasn't popped?
    Imprecations to the STB Gods?

5. Sep 1, 2014 #5 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I had one do that exact same thing. It is truly dead. I have seen posts where the person got another HR23 for the replacement. Hopefully you will get an HR24 like I did when mine died.

6. Sep 1, 2014 #6 of 11
    mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Just had an HR21 die last week and Directv sent me a HR23 refub.

7. Sep 1, 2014 #7 of 11
    TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Mine did the same thing. Someone said the power supply died. I got upgraded to a Genie.

8. Sep 2, 2014 #8 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like your power supply is shot. Good opportunity to get a 24, but if you own it, you can fix it.

Rich

9. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Same here....my Sister's HR21 died the other day and they just sent the turtle to her too (a refurb HR23-700, the worst of all models imho). Begged for a HR24 to no avail.

10. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    As noted earlier, I (my sister) got a HR23 as a replacement too this week after requesting a HR24 as replacement under protection plan. I then called DirecTV again, and requested a replacement receiver with Voice Command feature with results that show on TV (which is only HR24 and later). Today I received a HR24 via Fed Ex, and for some goofy reason, a second box containing a HR23-700 receiver, with a recovery kit in both boxes. They told me to keep the original HR21 that died, now what do I do? 2 recovery kits but only 1 receiver to send back.....confused. I have a bad feeling about this......

Sent from my iPhone

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do what you can with what you have and don't discard any HRs. Sooner or later, they'll either send you a return box or bill you for the HR. You can then call Retention and tell them politely what D* has put you thru and you'll get all kinds of goodies. I love it when they screw things up.

Rich