1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

hr23-700 Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ult4dr, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ult4dr

ult4dr Cool Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Hello all,

I have an hr23-700 and I am getting an error code of 04-818. Does anyone know what this means? I starts up then goes completely black. Could this be the HD? I have had this unit for about 1 week.

Thanks

ult4dr

2. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
  3. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    More info please.. When do you the error code? On boot up? When running tests from the menu?

4. ult4dr

ult4dr Cool Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I get in on boot up. After is says "one more sec please" Goes to step 1 of 2 then gets a blue screen.

ult4dr

5. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    From post #12 by Doug Brott in this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=173489

To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

1. reboot STB via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
    2. when they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    3. You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    4. select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test

Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

6. hunter65

hunter65 Guest

I had this error code with my HR21-700. I hope your hdd is not fried. How long have you had your HR23-700?

7. ult4dr

ult4dr Cool Member

Mar 6, 2006
    :( Yes my HD is fried. I have had it for a whole 2 weeks.