1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23-700 just Died

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimmie57, May 22, 2013.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I pressed the button on the remote, nothing.
    Got up, pressed the power button on the front of the receiver, nothing.
    I pressed the red reset button, nothing.
    Unplugged it from the back of the receiver and waited 15 seconds, reconnected it, nothing.
    Unplugged it from the surge suppressor and plugged it into the wall direct, nothing.
    Note that my TV, DVD, Yamaha AVR and Sub woofers are all plugged into the same surge suppressor and UPS and they all are working.
    Did not have any bad weather or loss of power.
    My other 2 receivers in the house work just fine.

Called customer service and have a replacement on the way. Replacement receivers do not restart the 24 month agreement / contract.

One funny thing. After asking me all of the above they actually had last on her list to ask if the circuit breaker had been checked. LOL
    I explained to her that if the circuit breaker was tripped that none of the other equipment plugged into the surge suppressor would have worked. She laughed and she got it. She said "This is true".

Then she told me I would get a new receiver as a replacement. I explained to her how that worked unless I just happened to be extremely lucky or they changed the policy in the last few days.
    I will update this when I get the replacement.

I have moved my HR24 from the bedroom where it got very little bit of use to the Den for my main receiver.

2. georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    Mine also died, Would not power up after everything was tried. They sent a replacement and I received it in 3 days via FedEx.
    When it arrived lo and behold it was an HR24 instead of a 23.
    George

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Congrats on the HR23 deaths. I wish mine would die!
    How's that HR24?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I will cross my fingers. That would be nice.

The only bad thing is losing the recordings I had just recorded for my grand daughters to watch when I baby sit them sometimes. They love Dancing with the Stars and the series just finished last night.

The really good thing is that it did not catch fire like a few posts that I have read on here.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The HR24-100 is excellent. It has been faster with every software update that was received than the HR23.
    I have had it since the last of June in 2012.
    I just have to wait for the guide to fill in so I can set up my Series to record again.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Update to original post.
    My receiver came this morning. I had just called it in Wednesday about 11 am.
    It is an HR24-100 and it is a refurbished one.

The girl I spoke to when activating it told me that the refurbs go thru more testing than a new one does.
    She also pointed out that people that churn / change companies send their receivers back and nothing wrong with them. They also go thru the refurbished checks, clean off the hard drive, delete all settings, etc.

I asked her about the recovery kit because I did not get one. She checked and said something was entered wrong in the computer and that I needed to check my other HR24 and see if it was working. I did, it wasn't. She had to reactivate it. She said if one does not come to not worry about it. I told her if one did not come that I would pay close attention to my bills for a charge for it. I told her of reading cases of this on the forums. She said that some receivers are being phased out but she did not know if the HR23 was one of them or not.

A different subject. When I was setting up my favorites channels I noticed that Bloomberg channel is now in HD.
    I did not know it was. I do like to change from CNBC sometimes to get a different point of view.

Very nice ladies I dealt with, fast service, very satisfied.

7. Dago Red

Dago Red New Member

May 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    My HR23-700 also died yesterday. Would not power up.

I received a refurbished HR23-700 as a replacement that was 6 months older than the one that had died.

They did not want the old receiver back, only the card. They told me to recycle it.

It would have been nice to get something newer, as I am losing faith in these HR23's.

8. Jun 1, 2013 #8 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would hold onto it. I don't think the 23 is non-recoverable.

9. Jun 1, 2013 #9 of 21
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They replaced mine with an HR24. The CSR told me that the HR23 might not be recoverable. It has now been more than a week since I talked to them and I do not have a recovery kit as of now.

10. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    My HR23-700 died on May 20; must've been something in the air! They replaced mine with an HR22. :nono2: Y'all were lucky to get the HR24.

11. jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Better hold on to it for a for a couple of billing cycles. From personal experience, you may find a $200 charge on your bill, if they actually do want it and don't get it back.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    CORRECTION !!!!!! CORRECTION !!!!!

I went to put my old receiver in the box that the replacement came in and put them both in the closet. When I closed the top of the box flaps there was a big red plastic envelope taped to it.
    It Reads "RETURN DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED".
    Some of us are dumb, some of us are old, some of us are old and dumb, which in this case is me. When they call it a "recovery kit" I was thinking it would be something separate. NOT !!!
    I put the return label over the original label and taped the box shut.
    I just got back from the post office where I gave it to the lady behind the counter.

Check the box your replacements come in for a red envelope !!

13. Dago Red

Dago Red New Member

May 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    I didn't get any return documents with my replacement, not even for the access card, which they said would be included. I did get this email from them, though...

Great news, we have placed your order for a replacement DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR!

When your new receiver arrives, you'll find simple setup and activation instructions. Then you'll be ready to continue enjoying your favorite movies, sports and shows on DIRECTV.

What do you do with your defective receiver?

If you received a pre-paid return shipping label, simply attach it to the box provided and send your old receiver back to us free of charge.

Your return options:

Give the package to your United States Postal Service letter carrier.

Drop off your package at any Post Office or FedEx location. To find the Post Office nearest to you, call 1-800-ASK USPS (1-800-275-8777) or go to www.usps.com and click on "Locate a Post Office".

Request a Free Package Pickup from your Postal letter carrier at www.usps.com/pickup. Your letter carrier will pick up your package when your mail is delivered the next day. For complete details on Free Package Pickup, visit Schedule a Pickup on www.usps.com.
    Regardless of what option you chose, you can track the shipment on FedEx.com as they are in partnership with USPS for these shipments.

Be sure to return your receiver as soon as possible -- $200 will be charged to your account if your old receiver is not returned to DIRECTV within 7 days.

If you did not receive a pre-paid return shipping label, you don't need to return your old receiver, and you're all set.

I guess I'm all set then.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Dago Red
    My email said "here is the information you requested". It was about protection plans.
    I did not request information.
    Keep an eye on your bill for a few months to see if they charged you for it.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Call Retention and tell them your story. You'll get a recovery kit pretty quickly. BTW, the boxes the 24s come in are too small for the 21 series HRs. You shouldn't get a recovery kit when you get a 24 FedExed to you if the return HR is a 20 or 21 series. Just went thru that with a 21-200 that I deactivated last December. Six months that sucker sat on a shelf and it is recoverable, as is the 23-700. But, the clock on returns doesn't start ticking until the recovery box arrives. So, after looking at that 21-200 for six months, suddenly it became critical that I return the box immediately upon receipt of the recovery kit.

If a CSR told you that, he/she was wrong, as they usually are.

Rich

16. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    And before you send it back, write down the tracking number!

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My HR23-700 died on May 20; must've been something in the air! They replaced mine with an HR22. :nono2: Y'all were lucky to get the HR24.

Other than the BBC difference, I'm not sure an hr22 is really worse than a 23. Both are slower than the 24.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I also keep track of the RID #s and Access Card #s when I send an HR back. When a Tech makes the swap, I make sure he writes the RID # and Access Card # on the pink slip. I gotta say that with all the HRs I've sent back, not one has failed to make it.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Based on my experience with one 22-100 and one 23-700, which I realize is limited, I have to agree with you.

Rich

20. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I also keep track of the RID #s and Access Card #s when I send an HR back. When a Tech makes the swap, I make sure he writes the RID # and Access Card # on the pink slip. I gotta say that with all the HRs I've sent back, not one has failed to make it.

Rich

Not sure which "pink slip" you refer to as most installers uses an electronic signature capture device

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app