1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

hr23 700, number of issues and no help from tech support

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by awoehler, Jul 26, 2009.

1. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm have several issues with my HR23-700 receiver, and DTV tech support has been no help. I have the HR23 dvr with the AM21 off air tuner. I am networked with a router with an Ethernet cable. I've downloaded VOD programs as recently as a couple of days ago.

Here is what is going on; DVR playback has been freezing intermittently for 60 to 90 seconds at a time, Slow response time to commands from remote, now no internet connection, any shows recorded on the DVR now ask me if I want to delete them as if they have played all they way to the end.

I have done several red button RBRs and a few unplugs. Tech support thought that a bug with my internet may be causing other problems with my receiver, but I had issues before the internet/network stopped working.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    -Adam

2. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

First as far as the slowness goes. Sometimes the network info slows down the Hrxx. So pull the cable and rbr. Maybe that will help with the speed. Once you are ready to get back online. reset all pf your network settings. Take it back to factory blanks it would be at

Menu > Ssytem settings > Network > restore defaults. Then plug the cable in and rerun the network set up. Maybe that will do the trick. Your Hrxx should pull an ip of 192.168.x.x. That depends on what router you are using

3. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    I tried that and it did not work. I now have the network default settings which I cannot override. I can type in my network settings and hit "connect now" and it will fail and show the network defaults.

4. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    It won't reconnect. What router are you using

5. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm hardwired with a Linksys WRT54G. The ethernet line going into the receiver is good because I just plugged it into a laptop and connected to the internet with it. I think there is much more going on with this receiver. I can no longer pause or rewind live TV. The internet/network problems are one thing, but the other issues I'm having appear to be related to data that would be written on the hard drive. I wonder if I have a bad drive.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    unplug network AND am21 unit and see.

7. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    My System info also says the internal temp of the receiver is 32f. Funny. Doesn't feel cold in here.

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you running esata drive?

9. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    I don't know. I have the standard HR23 box they sent me in December 2008.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    ok, no external drive. just those temps sounded like some had reported seeing with some external drives attached.

11. awoehler

awoehler AllStar

Jan 2, 2008
    Next step with Tech Support was to reformat the hard drive. When the hard drive would not recognize to be reformatted, they put in an order for a new receiver. Problem solved? Eh, kinda. What about the many hours of HD Movies I had on that hard drive that i haven't watched yet?

Can I add an external hard drive to an HR23 so if this happens again I won't lose all my movies?

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, you can use an external eSATA drive with the HR23 or any of the HD DVRs. But it won't protect you from losing recordings if the drive dies.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You get the 32 degree reading if the internal HDD is unplugged and you are running on an eSATA only. You get a 77 degree reading if an eSATA is attached to a 21,22 or 23. You get the real temp reading if an eSATA is attached to a 20-700.

Sounds as if he might have a bad HDD. I don't have any of those problems on my 23 (not using an eSATA). No way he should be getting that temp reading on a stock 23.

Rich

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Tech support was right for a change. Bad internal HDD. If you had formatted it, you would have lost the recordings so getting a new HR isn't that bad.

You have to remember, at the moment, the HDDs, be they internal or external, are "married'' to the HR and will not play the programs recorded on the HR they are "married" to on any other HR.

Rich