1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR23-700 owned, message 14-866

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bennieblanco, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    HR23-700 has just been started up, first time for me maybe junk don't know . Got the new card started and stopped at "running receiver self-check" then hangs there. It did one time go to checking satellite 1 of 2. Bought a replacement hard drive " WD AV-GP WD30EURX 3TB" will that be ok? Started system goes through everything like when I got it but now it also shows diagnostic code 14-866 reboot? Is the drive too big or just not formated and/or partitioned properly? Possibly the power supply junk, what is the order of pins numberd so i can check voltages? Also access card has not been able to be activated yet, or can I successfully activate it without the receiver running so I don't loose the 9 day window?

2. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
    I don't know for certain, but I think the HR23 is limited to 2TB drive size.
    Genies (HR34 and HR44) can utilize 3TB and 4TB.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, HR2x HDDVRs are limited to 2TB hard drives

Genies has a limit of ? no one that I recall has been able to find out

4. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    So is that why I am seeing this message?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Shouldn't be the issue. It just won't use that full space.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are you sing this hard drive in an enclosure on externally?

7. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    No was installing as an internal replacement as I thought that was the issue? I have read these hr23 have some power issues? It does power up just freezes at running diagnostics screen?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    14 | On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14” | What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver. If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

I believe the second number is the line of the code that is generating the 14 error code.

Some drives are not compatible with the DVRs for various reasons.

Actually, the power problem with the HR23 is the actual power supply. I had one that burned up last year.

9. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    So jimmie i am going to try an exact duplicate drive? Or you think i should do something else?

10. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You could try forcing a software download. RBR, when the lights come on 02468 on the remote.

11. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    define rbr please could not find. i am searching for it

12. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    The Red Button inside the access card door.

RBR red button reset.

13. bennieblanco

bennieblanco New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    mn
    WOW that was stupid ( on my part ) so do that then enter 02468 that will start a download for software update?

14. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You could try that. Its worked for my HR20-100 before. It's getting kind of late on a Saturday night though. The geeks come out and DirecTv pushes freaky software. You might want to wait till the sun comes up.