1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23 Freezing Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by brucegrr, Apr 7, 2012.

1. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Former Directv, to Dish for 2 years, now back to Directv. (sports, sports, sports). Day two. We have the HR23-700 DVR. The DVR response to remote commands is painfully slow, much slower than the Dish VIP-922 we had. I read the forums a bit...seems slowness is a common complaint. Ok, I can live with this.

However, every time a program is paused long enough for the screen saver to come on the DVR becomes unresponsive to remote commands. I have to use the iPad remote to unpause the program, then, and only then, will the remote work again. This is very frustrating.

Suggestions?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Probably an IR interference problem from the backlight on your LCD TV, not an unusual problem with DirecTV and other set top boxes. The clue is that the problem is worse when the screen saver is on - a black screen causes the backlight sensor to go to its highest level, where the backlight power supply emits most IR.
    Solutions - turn the backlight sensor control to minimum
    or, put some blue painters tape over the IR sensor
    or, switch your receiver and remote to RF operation, if you have an RF-capable remote (it will have an FCC sticker on the back)> If you don't, you can get one fvrom DirecTV or from online suppliers like solid signal.

3. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. I tried changing the back light setting, clearing the ram, etc. Some improvement but still too much interference.

My short term solution? I called the install company and they are going to swap out the remote with an RF capable remote.

Long term? New Harmony RF remote. (which will make my wife very happy) :) I use a Harmony One now.

Again, that you for your help.

Bruce