1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hr23 killing my network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by matty8199, May 24, 2011.

1. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    i've got a hr23 that i'm having all sorts of network issues with. here's a link to my previous thread...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=191844

anyway, now i've got the hr23 basically shutting down my network. i have a linksys wrt54gl that runs into a zonet 16 port switch, and everything on my network is wired into that switch (including my hr20 and hr23).

i used to have a linksys sr224 switch, but i replaced that with the zonet because i thought the 224 had failed. nothing on my network that was plugged into the switch would operate, so i ordered the zonet to replace it.

well, tonight i was watching something on the hr20 from the hr23. all of a sudden, i get a message that the receiver has been disconnected from the network. also, all my computers lose connectivity. i think to myself, there's no way this switch went bad this soon after the old one did (it's only been connected less than 24 hours)...so, i go downstairs and look at the switch - all the lights are blinking rapidly. so i start disconnecting things...the hr23 happens to be port 1 on the switch. as soon as i disconnect the hr23, the lights stop blinking. i come upstairs and check my computers...they're all connected with internet again.

so, i'm guessing the hr23 must have a bad ethernet port, or something of the sort that is flooding my network occasionally. here's the kicker...i reset the hr23 via the red reset button and re-ran network setup on both boxes, and i have whole home and everything working again AND i have connectivity on my computers.

how should i go about fixing this? it's obviously the hr23 causing the issues, since they stopped immediately after i unplugged the hr23 from the network...i want to add a third (and maybe a fourth) hd dvr, but i was going to go out and buy a hr24 to make sure i get one of those...should i try to replace the hr23 and ask for a credit to buy a hr24? will directv even replace the box on account of the network port going bad?

for that matter, has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

2. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    actually, i take that back...now the hr20 can see all the recordings on the hr23, but the hr23 can't see the hr20. if i go to whole home on the hr23, it says there are no networked dvrs, while the hr20 says living room is on the network. (the hr20 is bedroom, hr23 is living room)

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Try use other port on the switch; could you see statistics of the switch ?

4. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    it's a brand new switch and like i said, it's partially working. the hr20 can see the hr23, but not vice versa...and this is the second different switch it has happened with. i highly doubt changing the port on the switch is going to change anything...

and no, i don't have stats on the switch. it's an unmanaged switch.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just to be sure, you only have one Ethernet cable plugged into your receivers, the other port is unused, right?

6. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    yep. when i had the issues with the other switch, i had to move the cable from the top port on the hr23 to the bottom one in order to get it to work. now i have it back on the top port.

both ports have worked at one time or another...

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    use deca.

8. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    no. i have no desire to pay $100 for something that is completely unnecessary. i already have two cat6 drops in each room.

9. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    To be fair DECA wouldn't help if it was a bad NIC.

To the OP: I would download a sniffer, and isolate the DVR's on their own LAN to "see" what's going on; but if it is a bad NIC you might have problems getting D* to swap the DVR due to that reason alone.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    and if it IS a bad nic your sol for replacement in an UNSUPPORTED setup.
    unnecessary?
    hows that working for ya?

11. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    while i appreciate the lecture from someone clearly oh so much smarter than me, can you please stop? i started the thread trying to get help with my unsupported setup (yes, i know it's unsupported, that's why i came here to try to get help) - not to get a lecture from you about switching to DECA.

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    what may work (and this sounds odd as hell) is along with static ip make sure to reserve those ip's in dhcp table.
    basically double up entry, reserve ip per mac in dhcp AND assign static on dvr end.
    it sounds odd I know.

13. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    the problem with that is that like i said, now it seems to be working (minus the issue of the hr23 not being able to see the hr20)...any ideas how to get the hr23 to see the hr20? the hr20 can already see all the recordings on the hr23...

14. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    thank you for actually trying to help here...actually, i have dd-wrt issuing a static IP lease by mac address for the two DVRs, so they aren't actually using DHCP.

15. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Based on your setup you'll need to isolate the D* receivers to discover the true problem. I deal with networking a lot, and things are not always what they seem. If you can take everything "else" out of the equation (including the router) that will give you a better idea.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    not quite the same, I have been able to duplicate this before on test setups. I needed static ip set on each dvr as well as reserving the dhcp.
    dhcp server was not the issue as I could duplicate it with 3 types of dhcp server.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Yep, that's a common (and frustrating) thing about networking (or just electronics in general.) If you isolate networking components you'll get a true understanding of what's a problem and what's not.

18. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    i can try running the two DVRs into a separate switch and then onto a separate vlan...i'll see if i have an extra ethernet cable laying around and give that a shot.

19. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I agree; the router can even be part of the problem.

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    If you can run the receivers to their own switch (no router) you can reboot and they'll automatically assign themselves static IP's. You won't have to worry about vlan's or anything else. If that happens to work, and you reintroduce the router later, set the static IP's on the receivers themselves (not the router.) Just make sure the IP's aren't used elsewhere, and are outside your DHCP pool.