1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23 Slowed Down When AM21 Added?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bocoogto, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bocoogto

bocoogto Cool Member

Feb 25, 2008
    A Direct TV CSR replaced my HR20-700 with the HR23 because the HR20 developed an intermittent problem with low or no satellite signal. He first replaced the 5LNB module with no improvement. As he took the HR23 out of the box, I saw it had no provision for OTA, so I called Direct TV and requested the AM21.

When I activated the AM21, the guide seems much slower than it did with just the HR23. The HR23 without the AM21, by the way, was quicker than the HR20.

Anyone else experience this? Is there any alternative to fix it?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Did you make sure to turn off the the scrolling guide?

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I notice a slight difference in my 3 HR21-100 units with AM-21's attached.

4. bfdheky

bfdheky AllStar

May 3, 2009
    My DVRs were very noticeably slower when I was using AM-21. Thankfully, DirecTV just added my locals in HD, so I was able to take the AM-21s off. Big difference in overall speed.

The performance decrease was most noticeable when one tuner was on an AM-21 channel and I would try to use the guide. If both tuners were on an AM-21 channel, the DVR was nearly useless.

Hope you get HD locals via satellite soon.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, I've heard this before. The bitrates used in broadcast MPEG-2 are much higher than those in satellite-delivered MPEG-4 and that can be a part of it.

6. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    So, when using the dvr, get the tuners off OTA channels first? Might have to give that a try. Seems like soon as I hit the list button, all my lockups start.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You can try using doubleplay to set both tuners to satellite-delivered SD and that may help.