1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR23 Tuner and Sat 771 error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chris22, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Chris22

Chris22 Mentor

Aug 8, 2010
    Yesterday when it rained, My HR23 rebooted and then i got 771 sat error, on all channels. I checked my signals and my tuner 1 had 0 on all sats. I checked tuner 2 and all signals were upper 80's and 90's. So, I switched the cables from tuner 2 to tuner 1 and now tuner 1 is all 80's and 90's and tuner 2 is all 0. I get the 771 error again, on all channels, no picture. I ran the system test and got this code: 40-660 'Sat dish alignment or distribution problem'
    I got the SL3 with 99, 101, and 103 sats. This is my only receiver.

1. Is my receiver bad?

2. Do you think it's a dish or cable problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    1. No

2. Yes

:D

Go outside and check the connections and make sure none are loose and letting water in. You might try to determine if it is the dish itself or the coax run by trying different outputs on the LNB.

I bet if you turned on double play by pushing down on the remote twice you could still watch TV since DP lets you just choose tuners.

3. Chris22

Chris22 Mentor

Aug 8, 2010
    I live in a apartment and the dish is on the roof. Yes, I tried double play and i can watch all channels, Thank You! :D I will call Directv, since i got the PP and set up for a tech to come in. Now do i have to switch my cables back to tuner 1 and 2, to how they were before? Thanks for your kind help.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    PP will get you fixed up. That's what it's for! :)

If it were me, I would figure out which line is the good one, which should be obvious ;), put that on sat 1 input, leave the other off, and re-run satellite setup and only change it from dual tuner to single tuner so you don't get a bunch of recordings of nothing, or have to mess with double play and leave the other stuff the same. Before the tech comes out, just hook the other line back up and switch it back to dual tuner to avoid confusion once he gets there. If they come tomorrow I wouldn't bother with all that, but if it will be a few days you might consider it.

Leaving it the way it is now shouldn't hurt anything either. I would at least disconnect the bad one in case something is shorted somewhere.

5. Chris22

Chris22 Mentor

Aug 8, 2010
    Case management will call me today. If they don't come on Saturday, then i will change it to single tuner. Thank you again. Will let you know what happens, with the tech.

6. Chris22

Chris22 Mentor

Aug 8, 2010
    Ok, Tech came in and made sure everything was good inside my apartment, wiring and receiver. He went on the roof and he found a cable from the dish, corroded. He replaced it. He told me the name of it, but i forgot. Now everything working fine. :D

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Good deal!

8. Chris22

Chris22 Mentor

Aug 8, 2010
    Update: When i shut the tv off and turned it on a couple hours later, same problem came back. I called the tech back and he checked the cable under the carpet, were we walk over, the cable was pinched from the carpeting track. It was under the carpet metal strip. He fixed it and hopefully all is good. :)