1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-100 Blue Screen of Death Diagnostics Code 14-057

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by trh, Jan 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I notice my HR24/100 was on this AM**. Went to manually turn it off; nothing. Turned on the associated TV to be greeted with a blue screen which said in parts:
    Tried the reboot option, then RBR and then unplugged the HR24. Still the same screen. HD was making some very unusal sounds. So I'm sure the HD is toast. The unit is less than 6 months old.

Any other suggestions?

I have to call them later today, but my biggest fear is they will send me a refurbished unit. But I also seem to recall a post recently that said they are replacing defective HR24s with HR24s. Anyone know?

**We did get the NR HD GUI last night causing the unit to turn on/restart.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Hard drive is toast. You'll need to call for a replacement DVR.

3. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I think the OP is concerned that a replacement may not be that. He may get a downgrade.

Me, I would just throw in a new harddrive and save the old one for when you turn in the unit. If it is not the hard drive you have a new one for expansion if the box has to be replaced.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It has been posted on this site that HR24s will be replaced with HR24s (most likely because they have larger HDs and built in DECA) eliminating the concern of getting downgraded. Opening a leased receiver and replacing internal parts is not good advice.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Talked with Tech Support. Replacement HR24-100 being FedEx'd. I asked to confirm this and she said yes, but then she said "we always replace with an exact match". We'll see in a couple of days.

Now how to break the news to my wife that a bunch of her shows are gone. Oh well, 13 years with DirecTV and this is the first time we've had a hard drive crash.

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If only that were true. Let us know what the ship you.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    code 14-702 for me this morning too, about to call and we'll see what I get.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Another Well Intentioned Misinformed CSR!!! Of course with an HR24 they do try to Replace it with another HR24 DVR but that is the only one that I know of at this point. I'm sure also that a Failed HR34 would be replaced with an HR34.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Received a refurbished HR24-500 today. Looks great (not a single scratch on it). As they said, I would receive a STB, new access card and return shipping label; keep all my cables from old box.

Already hooked up and working; defective unit in the box. Just have to wait for the HD GUI to download.

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good to hear!

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, Good News!!! :)

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Someone told me "you got screwed by getting a refurbished unit -- you should send it back and get a new one."

Why? The unit that died on me wasn't new and I've never had problems with a refurbished unit in the past (I think they get a better level of QA/QC then a unit straight off the production line). Especially considering when I got the HR24-100 in August, it was free (OK -- 2 year commitment, but I've been here since 1998 -- I'm not going anywhere so 2 years is nothing).