1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-100 Freezing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by NateCohen, Oct 12, 2013.

1. NateCohen

NateCohen Cool Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Hello I have a DirecTV HR24-100. The problem I'm having is the box just constantly freezes. I only watch live TV.

I'm watching the ALCS right now and every 5-10 minutes the feed will just freeze. No pixelation or anything. I tried changing the box throughout the house, but am having the same issue.

I have another HD DVR in the house, but that never has the freezing issue...just this box.

I called DirecTV and they are sending a new box out, but was wondering if there's a fix for this issue since I'm trying to watch the baseball game and it just happens constantly.

Also when it freezes nothing works...no guide or anything. I guess it sounds like it might have a bad hard drive.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

3. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    lol They are sending him a new box....

4. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Boy. I wish I had had this information two weeks ago. We just recorded all the season premiers on the bedroom receiver (HR24-100) and it croaked the following weekend. This may have worked long enough so we could have at least watched one or two of them. This is more diagnostic than the procedure D* tech folks used when they had me "prove" that the DVR was bad. I am going to save this for future reference.

The D* swap was very fast. Called with the problem Monday. Had the replacement receiver Tuesday. You can't beat that.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Your issue is exactly why I keep a 2nd DVR and have my Series Links on both. Most of us here recommend two DVRs to those asking about new set ups, or upgrades to the Genie.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Even two HRs is really not enough, I think. But then, I've got a little OCD problem. :rolling:

Rich

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, not OCD, but a hoarding issue... !rolling

1 person likes this.