1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-100 Volume Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HolmesCo, Jun 11, 2013.

1. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    I did some searching on this, but seem to only find discussion from 2007 or so.

I have incredibly low volume on this receiver, hard to isolate exactly. But many if not all shows, need to be turned up quite a bit, some all the way to 100 on my Samsung 56" HD. I have a direct antenna input (not OTA) and it never needs to be above about 25. I have a PS3 also connected to TV and its volume is fine.

Is this a known thing? As I said, I have found here, and googling, similar problems going back years, on various models of DVRs or just plain receivers. I have been with them 12 years, never had this problem. Been paying for the protection plan since day one.

They are sending a tech out saturday, but have to wonder if any gurus out there have any ideas, or know that this is a known problem by D* and has been known for years, accdg to some things I have read.

Some examples of worst case, wtching HBO The Day After on saturday, needed volume to 100 just to be listenable. My wife watches, usually records her soap, Bold and Beautiful, on CBS, and it always has to be at 100. I also find many stations, like MSNBC need to be around 75 or so. Something is very wrong, and wondered what light anyone here can shed on it.

There are so many well informed people here as I have found many times over the years.

Thanks for any help.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The receivers do not control volume, they send a line level signal and it is amplified at the next connection ( TV, AVR, etc. )

Are you connected directly to the TV from the receiver ? What type of connection / cable are you using to connect ?

Have you tried resetting the receiver ?

3. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks, yes it is directly connected, to Component 1. I have no AV Receiver or anything fancy, just connect directly to the tv. PS3 and XBox are both connected via HDMI, and they both are fine. The tv has just two HDMI inputs.

I am curious, if the receiver does not control the volume, why there is variation. IE some channels are somewhat ok, some middlin, some horrible.

Thanks for the response.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried removing the X box or PS3 and plugging that cable into the DTV receiver to see what it does with the different connection ?

5. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    I have thought about this, but the equipment is atop a entertainment unit, and at my age, I have a bit of a balance problem. Even a 3 ft ladder is a bit scary to me. I am thinking this is something the tech may try.

One thing I could do, is get to back of tv and move from component1 to component2. Not sure if that is totally different circutiry or not for the volume.

But if lets say the XBox HDMI did correct the problem for the DVR, I don't believe the xbox has a component video output, though I am not sure. I don't use the xbox a lot, but would still want it to have correct volume. A bit of a dilemma.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    With a balance problem you definitely do not want to be on a ladder.

You could try changing to Component 2. You could also try another set of red and white audio cables if you have them.

7. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    I guess I have forgotten, does the component video cable not have audio included? If it is a separate rca type needed, then we would be back to having to climb up there to change them. I just can't remember if component is simply the RGB cables or it is also has audio as part of it? Thanks for your help.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Component Cable set, Red and White for Audio and Red, Blue and Green for Video.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370986274&sr=8-1&keywords=component+cables

Composite Cable Set, Red and White for Audio and a Yellow for Video.
    Note that this connection only does Standard Definition resolution.
    http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Audio-Video-Composite-Cable/dp/B001VJ465O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370986331&sr=1-2&keywords=composite+cables

9. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Ok, well I might give it a shot then, I can get to back of the tv and swap to component2 and see what happens. Otherwise, will have to let the young buck technician handle it. :biggrin:

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you change connections you will need to choose the correct one in the TV menu for the Input.

11. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Not sure I follow you. Don't I just use the TV/Input button on the dtv remote to go to comp2 ?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If that button controls your input on your TV that is fine.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The reason why some channels are louder than others is because HD channels that broadcast on DD has a more dynamic range that the SD channels that broadcast on stereo

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

14. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Go to Menu > Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital

Turn it off if its on and on if its off and then see if the volume level gets better.

You might need to invest in at least a sound bar if you're expecting loud volume as most TV speakers aren't meant to fill a whole room with rich loud sound.