1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24/100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Adamantium, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    Can I hook up an HR24/100 directly to the dish? I am trying to make this work without all the switches etc, is this possible?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You'll need BBCs

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless you have a SWiM dish in which case, you will need an appropriate Power Inserter.

4. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    Excuse my ignorance but how do I know if I have a swim dish? BBCs do not seem to make a difference, do I need to do a reset after installing them?

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    After your install if there were BBCs installed then you don’t have a SWiM setup...but to check, how many wires do you have coming from the dish?

How many receivers do you have?

Did you have switches or splitters previously or is this a new setup?

A little more info will make it easier to make sure you get the correct answer. :)

Mike

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you have another receiver hooked up, push the dash button on the remote. A SWiM-connected system will pop up a small menu that says "SWiM Connected."

If this is a relatively new setup, last two years or so, it's very likely that it is a SWiM system.

7. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    The system is about 5 years old. 1 reciever set up, there were BCCs before on the old HR20-100s and I've upgraded to the HR24-100. there 2 cables coming from the dish. As of now the screen has this message: "there is a problem communicating with the satellite dish(771a)"

8. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    You replaced the HR20 with an HR24? Did you do this yourself and are the two cables connected to the HR24?

Have you pressed the Dash button on the remote?

Mike

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR24-100 is still in a SWiM mode, but connected to a legacy system.

10. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    If you were using BBCs with the old receiver, you don't have SWiM. The HR24 is likely looking for SWiM. To fix this, you need to repeat satellite setup and choose the correct dish type. Do you know if you have a 5-LNB or a 3-LNB dish?

11. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    In which case Adamantium should make sure the BBCs are installed and rerun the satellite setup with the correct dish.

Mike

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Getting a receiver/DVR to switch back to legacy mode can be a bit troublesome.

13. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    It's more than just rerunning the satellite setup?

Mike

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I changed my HR21 from SWiM to legacy, but it took some "real effort".
    "Simply resetting" defaults didn't do it. I went through a "whole bunch" of resetting & rebooting before it finally changed.

15. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That sounds cumbersome. No direct procedure just keep plugging away?

Mike

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Well" when a reset EVERYTHING doesn't do it, I'd say it's "just a bit" cumbersome. ;)

17. Adamantium

Adamantium Cool Member

May 4, 2003
    I am doing this myself. Trying to switch to legacy mode is more than cumbersome, its an expletive filled rant! I've been trying for days, reset after reset to no avail! I was going to just buy a standalone swim switch but it says without the splitter it'll harm the reciever? I can not justify $199 for the 8 way splitter for 1 reciever. Does no one have a tried and true method? Factory reset, the reset button, unplug over night?

18. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I've not had any problems switching my two DVRs back to legacy mode. But you do need to connect to a legacy dish first. Then go through sat setup, select "multiswitch" and then the legacy dish type. Then it stays in legacy mode.
    And you don't need a splitter at all with a standalone SWM switch. There is no way you will harm the receiver.