1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-200 and QuickTune

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DoctorCAD, Aug 22, 2010.

1. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    No icons show up in QuickTune on my new HR24-200. There were icons on the HR22's QuickTune.

So far, that's the only thing I can find wrong with it.

It is many times faster in the guide than the 22 it replaced. It was remarkably easy to set-up and get running...

Any ideas on the icon thing?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    How long has it been since you set your QuickTune preferences?

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Let me see if I understand what you are saying. You tune to a channel, then press the up arrow to access QuickTune, and then press the Green button to add the channel and nothing happens?

4. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    No, the QuickTune screen is populated, but just with letters, no icons. Like this, The History Channel (on the HR22) had the History Channel Logo, on the HR24, only the words "History Channel" and the channel number show up.

5. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    3 days

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    What software version is your HR24 running (system setup/info)?

:)

7. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Not sure, I'm at work, but I do know that an update occurred Friday night and again Saturday night. I would think it is the latest that Direct has available.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I have an HR24 with software version 0x40d. I tried programming several of the QuickTune slots and received mixed results. For example, HBO HD East (501) displayed an icon, while HBO 2 HD East (502) displayed only text. CineMax (515) displayed an icon. Hallmark HD (312) displayed only text.

Strange....

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    There are currently channels missing logos.

The rule of thumb is if you have a logo in the info banner for a channel you'll have a logo in QuickTune, and if no logo in the banner then no logo in QT.

10. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009

Nope, all 9 channels have logos associated with them, the H20 in the other room has exactly the same channels in QuickTune and there are logos on every channel. The Hr22 had exactly the same channel and it had logos.

The software is 0x40d downloaded on Friday the 20th at 6:41pm.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    But does your machine with 0x040D that is missing the logos in QT have them in the banner?

12. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    That is strange, since I have an HR24 with the same version and it works. I did notice some of the programs on the History channel in my guide after 8/31 have blank titles (title not available). Don't know if that is part of the problem.

:)

13. DoctorCAD

DoctorCAD Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    OK, re-assigned all of the QuickTune channels and now have logos...seems that my first load must have been prior to the guide totally downloading and QuickTune didn't see the logos.

Odd that re-assigning to the same channel didn't work, but re-assigning to channel 1 then back to the correct channel did fix it.

Thanks everyone!

14. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    I had this problem. Right after I hooked up an eSATA drive over the weekend. The first thing I did was program my quick tune channels. I had to go back and redo them the next day to get the logos.

15. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Seems to be a common theme after an update.. just happened to me too.. :nono2:

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Isn't it pretty opbvious that whatever routine fetches these icons may have been corrupted during the download of software? Or is just not currently accessible without a reboot? I would not worry too much about it; you're probably lucky that something actually important did not get corrupted instead. There's a bunch of trapped Chilean miners that could not care less.

You could force a download, but really? I find that I watch programs significantly more often than I watch icons. Without going very far out on a limb, a reboot or the next OS download will probably heal your pain.

17. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Wow, good thing you don't work designing user interfaces. :rolleyes:

P.S. Reboot didn't fix it.

18. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    ...and, neither did a reload.

Oddly enough, the other HR24 and the H24 are both OK. It's just the HR24 in the great room that's doing it.. (Of course, since this is the one we use most)

19. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    How can you be sure that I don't?

I don't mean to diminish the importance of UI design; that can drive the consumer's entire impression of a product. Those who read and comprehended my post realize my position on that.

But nothing happened to the design, only to your particular DVR. So how important could that be to the subject of UI design?

Once you begin watching a program, the icons are then not visible, so how important is not having them then? Or do you sit fuming just knowing that they are not there?

20. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Anyway, it seems that a reload of the current FW did fix it after a few hours of waiting, and re-setting up all the channels in the quick tune.

TomCat - Being relatively new to the area in which I live, it's far easier to know that the NBC peacock is NBC, rather than needing to remember that "WBR" is part of "WBRE", our local NBC affiliate. same with CBS and Fox. Not to mention, it was quite visually unappealing.

I still get a grin every time the "Corvette" logo appears across the nav screen when the engine is started, and would be annoyed if it stopped doing it, so speaking to your last point, I would be fuming. I suppose if it's a feature be it functional or cosmetic, I want it to work, even though it doesn't affect usability.

1 person likes this.