1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-200 from SWM to Standard SL3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jmikestock, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jmikestock

jmikestock Mentor

Oct 8, 2008
    I haven't yet tried, but I have heard that going from a SWM16, which I have at home, to a standard, non-SWM in my RV can be problematic.

I understand that there is a procedure for making this change, but that most people have to end up getting help when attempting the change.

Does anyone have the procedure or know of a link to avoid getting the DVR screwed up?

There may already be an answer somewhere in this site but I haven't managed to locate it.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Rerun setup when you get the 771a unable to communicate with SWM error. Select the correct dish, correct number of tuners, and let it go. It will occasionally tell you that it cant find satellite X (will show red X's). If you know you selected the correct dish, ignore it and continue. It should work fine.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You are missing an important step - and it's the reason the reason why so many people have problems. When the receiver is connected to the non-SWM dish, you go into sat setup, you have to select "multiswitch" first otherwise the non-SWM dish selections won't show up, they will be grayed out.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You are correct. I just assumed when someone changed the dish, they would see it said SWM and select the other choice...Which I guess a lot of people dont do. Teach me to assume :)

5. jmikestock

jmikestock Mentor

Oct 8, 2008
    What you are all describing is correct when it comes to any of my other DVR's or receivers but the installer advised that I not try to change this new receiver.

With my other receivers I can change dish from SL 3 SWM to SL 3 ,wait for time out, try again for setup and the "SWM/ MULTISWITCH" will light up and allow the change. After it finally allows me to make a change the receiver will reboot again. The process takes forever.

6. prestone683

prestone683 Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Let's not forget the BBC's on the 24...

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yes, very important point. On non-SWiM setups the HR24 needs BBCs.

Mike

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, when in RV you'll need 2 cables to the DVR to enjoy 2 tuners and each cable will need a BBC connected.

9. jmikestock

jmikestock Mentor

Oct 8, 2008
    Yes, I have BBC's, although I don't yet know if this box requires them. I have one receiver that does not when operating on Legend system. But, that's not really relevant. I can manage that part.

My question is: Will I get tangeled up when dealing with this HR24-200, as the installer says, or is it just like any other HD DVR?

I am familiar with moving the other DVR's and receivers back and forth between Legend and SWM.

It really wouldn't matter except we take long trips and usually save up a lot of stored programs to watch. Besides, this box is much faster than the older ones.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yes the HR24's do need BBCs. The only current HD DVR that doesn't is the HR23-700.

It shouldn't be any different than any other receiver. It should be a matter of just redoing the satellite setup each time you move it.

Mike