1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-200 Shutting Down

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by C6Silver, Jul 19, 2014.

1. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    I've had this box for about 3.5 years and a few days ago it started exhibiting this issue. We will find that the box is unresponsive (no lights on the panel and nothing but a black screen on the TV). There is, however, a red light in the back and sometimes even the record light still shows but the fan isn't running. If I unplug the box and plug it back in, the fan will start-stop-start-stop... forever. I typically have to try this several times with a wait in between before the box will again start normally and everything is fine for some hours before this happens again. We haven't actually been watching it when it goes down so I don't know if an error message is displayed, etc.

My first thought was that the box might be overheating although there was no real reason it should have. As a test I pointed a large fan at it and kept it running. The temp, when I checked it, was in the very low 100's (F). However, when I came back about 6-hours later it was shutdown again and the box was very cool. I have never seen an overheat message either when on for a while or when restarting from this issue. Interestingly though it was much easier to restart after the fan test as I only had to unplug it once. Could have been a coincidence. My only other thought is a potential power problem but of course that is a guess.

Certainly I can call DTV which I am sure will result in them sending me a new box for money. I have recorded programs on this box and hate to do that so first I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    A replacement receiver will only cost $20 for the shipping and that covers returning the broken one.
    When you call just tell them it is broke, no light on, nothing.

3. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    It turns out to be a hard drive issue and they sent me a replacement Genie box for free. However, I am getting a bit of mixed message about what to do with the broken one. On the phone they told me it will need to be returned. When the new one came it did not come with a return shipping label and the instruction sheet is for recycling. On that sheet they mention that I am "encouraged" to print out a shipping label and send it to their recycling center. Then at the very bottom there is a note about a 7-day return or pay policy. So which is it? Am I encouraged meaning not mandatory or is this is a requirement and if the latter why didn't they send me the shipping label? The box actually works for some hours at a time so I'd love to hold on to it if possible in order to see what we recorded but did not have time to get to. It's not worth being charged for but the mixed messaging they are sending is unclear. Any thoughts or experiences?

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Watch like crazy, and also call them to have a return box and label sent to you.

5. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    Actually I just wound up having to call them. My account did not show an activation as being possible so I had to call the rep to get the replacement activated. While on the phone I asked them about the return. He told me that they don't want the box and I can do whatever I want with it for as long as I'd like. So good news there as long as the HD keeps working!

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV® usually sends the recovery kit as another package

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would call again just to make sure. I doubt they don't want a Genie back

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I think it's the HR24-200 they don't want back. But I would call again - ask them to make a note on your file if they don't want it back.

A recovery kit could show up in a month or so. It took over a month on a 22 that I deactivated.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My mistake, but I would still make sure. Right on!

10. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Last month I replaced a broken HR24-100. Was told on the phone they don't want that unit back. No return box has been received, and no non-return fees have been charged.
    Two weeks ago I deactivated a working HR21. Was told on the phone they don't want that unit back. But this week an envelope came in the mail to return the access card. Envelope noted that a non-return fee will be charged if card is not returned.
    Either way, I'm keeping both units in my basement (along with a deactivated HR20 from a couple of years ago). I'll hold onto them for at least another year, and I would suggest anyone deactivating a receiver do the same.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    A good strategy.....

12. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    I am going to hold on to it as we have unwatched shows. Afterwards I may just send it to their recycling center as I have no use for it. The guy was pretty clear with me that they have no use for it and if they did they would send the return label in the bag the replacement came in.

13. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I doubt they don't want the HR24 back, I would press on until they send you a return box, It's usually older models that can be recycled with exception to a few receivers, Maybe you've got a misinformed CSR.

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    That was my problem with DirectTV's policy when I noted it several years ago, and I presume it has not changed. That is: your terms of service/agreement dictate that you must return their equipment that you lease. Same with access cards I beleive But then they in practice, at their convenience, don't ask for it back when they so desire. Problem is, they are not willing to give you a legal release to not have to turn it back.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I agree. They should collect them all no matter what or send something in writing saying it's no longer leased it's yours.