1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-200 Video problem solved

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by maxlemke, Jun 14, 2012.

1. maxlemke

maxlemke New Member

May 2, 2012
    I encountered video problems after the recent software download. The video looked like the video problems one had years ago in the tube TV's when the horizontal sweep would lose sync and the image was squeezed into unrecognizable image. After a series of calls and a lot of frustration I dropped Directv for Comcast. Other issues with Comcast convinced me to return to DirecTv. I received new equipment and the problem returned.

My old equipment;

HR21-700 HD DVR using external hard drive

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

New equipment;

HR24-200 HD DVR

Sony KDS-R70XBR2 TV

Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver

After more phone conversations, decided to replace my HDMI cable. That did not fix the problem. I then reasoned that the problem must be software and it started with the original download to the old DVR. But the new one was not working either. So I researched the Denon receiver for software problems. That led me to connect the Denon to my router and download updated firmware. This download lasted about 75 minutes. The Denon turned itself on afterwards and the problem has not returned. It seems more of our devices these days are needing software updates.

2. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    *gasp*...not DTV's fault

3. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Shouldn't this post be retitled: "Denon AVR 3808 CI Receiver Video Problem Solved"?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We have to think that most of our electronics are computers, in one sense or another. The problem is sometimes it's hard to get them to release an update, some seem to stop after about a year if that long.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Denons, while terrific AVRs, are notorious for issues with incompatibility with newer HDMI versions, and a new firmware download is a common fix. I think that Denon is well aware that they have this tendency, so they make sure to be very responsive in putting forth updates in a timely manner.