1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 and HBO Picture Quality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by davahad, Jun 28, 2010.

1. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I replaced my HR20-700 and HR21 with 2 HR24-500's and I'm starting to regret it as the picture quality on HBO (True Blood, Entourage, etc.) is just plain horrible. Normally you would have to look close at the screen for picture issues but with the HR24 from a normal viewing distance the faces are all washed out and there is no detail. Also, if you look at the background where the scene stays the same you can see the background image pulsing or distorting in 3 steps. Almost like the picture is OK, then pulses/distorts, and then does pulses/distorts again making it even worse.

This happens on 2 different HR24-500's and doesn't happen on the network channels.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Not here.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    tonyd79 speaks of "blockiness" which is an entirely different symptom.

5. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    No problem here either. Consistent clear, sharp picture ALL channels.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This would appear to point to something other than the HR24's...as the probability of having 2 malfunctioning units at the same time is very, very remote.

There could be Dish/LNB issues, multiswitch issues, coax or connection issues, or other things coming into play - just coincidentally after making the equipment switch. Since the HR24 tuners are the most advanced to date, they may be exposing the real problem more distinctly.

If its just on those premium channels, which are brodcast off of one sat, perhaps an LNB is the next possibility in line.

I would suggest you begin to review your connections and the like. Since you didn't mention if you have a SWiM setup (or regular multiswitch), its somewhat difficult to diagnose in a thread like this.

Your other alternative is to call for a DirecTV service tech to come and inspect your setup, citing poor reception.

7. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    My exact setup is in my signature.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for that added detail.

Since you don't have a SWiM setup...I assume you have the required BBC's on those two HR24's, right? I also assume your sat 103 signal levels are in the 90 or higher range.

If so...then you may need a tech to inspect the remainder of your setup...the LNB is a likely next suspect.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    When I replaced an HR20 with an HR24 on my plasma, I had to tweak my brightness, contrast, color, tint ever so slightly from the previous settings to get optimal picture quality. The two were very close, but different to my eye.

Your issue sounds like your contrast or "picture" setting is overdriving your display. If you connected your HR24 to a different input than the HR20 or HR21 was connected to, it's possible that input is still set to the factory default "torch" mode that some display manufacturers like to ship their displays out with, so they stand out against the 20 others that may be on the same wall at Best Buy.

If it is a new input you are using and you haven't already checked this, I would go through your display's video set-up menu and compare the settings you used on your old input to the ones on the new input. If you were using a Panasonic display like mine, e.g., you might be looking at "Vivid" mode, e.g., when in your home, you really want to be in "Cinema" or "Standard" mode, depending on your taste.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    A bad LNB or SWiM will only affect whether or not a channel is received, or if it pixelates, which is not the issue being described here.

The problem here lies somewhere between the HR and the display settings. It could also be a HDMI cable. It could also be an HDMI compatibility issue between the current HR24 f/w and the Pioneer.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ...perhaps...but the OP indicated its just with HBO HD...

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Good point. I missed that.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Hey - you are one of the smartest diagnostic people I know here...

...just wanted to add that data. ;)

14. MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    I haven't noticed worse PQ with HBO than any other channel.

15. John127

John127 Mentor

Oct 14, 2007
    I rarely watch movies, but noticed this during a film on HBOW the other night, specifically the pulsing. Also, lighter colors looked somewhat grainy - a weird grainy - and the "grain" is what would pulse. My wife didn't notice the graininess until I pointed it out and she never saw the pulsing but it was very distracting to me.

Not sure how much this is happening with HBO because, like I said, I rarely watch it.
    Oh, I have an HR20-700.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My son and I both have HD TVs here at the house.
    We both have been seeing the poorer quality of the feed we are getting. It is on a lot of channels.
    If you get extremely close to the TV you can see things shift just a super tiny bit. This gives the picture a grainy effect.
    I wonder if it is the new MPEG4 format vs the old MPEG2 format that we were getting. A few of the transponders are still transmitting the MPEG2 feeds.

17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    The HD signal can be passed natively by the HR24, or up-converted before passing it on the the 4308CI. The 4308CI in turn can either pass it unaltered to the Pioneer, or up-convert it. Have you tried the various ways to configure the up-conversion in the signal path to see if this could be the source of your perceived video quality issue?

I am receiving my HR24 tomorrow, and it will be placed in the same rack as my HR23-700. I also have a Denon 4308CI. It will be very easy to do an A-B comparison between these two DVR's to see if I notice any difference. I'll report my findings.

Jerry

18. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I have found that the TV Video Settings work well for almost every channel except HBO HD feeds. Originally I had my Pioneer ISF Calibrated and it still has those settings saved as I can't change those. However, the TV was ISF Calibrated to the DVD Player and HR10-250 so I stopped using the ISF settings as the picture was looking very soft and washed out.

If I change back to the ISF Video Settings the pulsing goes away on HBO, but the picture looks a bit soft and washed out but better than what I am getting now on HBO. For now when watching HBO I will switch Video settings and for the long term I will either get the TV ISF calibrated again or may try one of the calibration discs like Video Essentials.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If there are still HD MPEG2 feeds, you probably aren't seeing them.

The transponder maps show that the original HD MPEG2 channels are still on 110W, but other indications suggest that they are not.

20. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I turned off the i/p scaler and set the Video Convert to Off for each INPUT Source. When using my TV Video Settings HBO still looks bad and has the pulsing. When I switch to the ISF Video settings the pulsing goes away.