1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 HD failing or something else???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rockywwf, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 19
    Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    I've had my HR24-500 with SWiM and MRV for a couple months now. Everything has been working flawlessly until this past Friday when I notice the HR24 would keep freezing the picture for a couple minutes then reboot every so often. After rebooting 5 times in 30 minutes I decided to do some research. I found how to run the tests in the advanced menu when rebooting. All the tests passed except the SMART tests both short and long. Surface test passed with no errors. the 3rd tech I talked to at Directv said he doesn't think it's the HD so they are sending someone to my house on Wednesday. What do you think from the details I've given. Oh to add the only other issues that arose with other boxes in the house is that my upstairs HR24-500 wouldn't turn on today and had I had to RBR to get it to work. One more thing, internal temp read at 111 degrees.

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Dave:confused:

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you get a temperature reading ?

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 19
    Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    111 degrees

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 19
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Have you run the system test? The first thing you should do is press & hold {INFO} until the menu appears, then select "Run System Test"

This will let you know if there are any inherent problems. Try that and post your results here.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 19
    Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    I ran the systems test yesterday and everything passed.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 19
    armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I've seen the picture freezes; it's the f/w. I anticipate improvements to come. The reboots I've not experienced but there were some that had these and found a note in Series Manager/History stating the guide was not properly updating.

Have you had any ETHERNET cables plugged into your WHD boxes?

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 19
    Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    yes they are connected to my home network.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 19
    armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    It would matter how they're connected to the INTERNET.

A supported WHD with Internet Connection Kit would look something like this; http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2466259#post2466259, but yours would have the extra H24.

If you're using ETHERNET, you'd need all boxes connected with ETHERNET. It's not a preferred setup because this will bypass MRV traffic to the ETHERNET rather than the intended MRV over coax.

But, if you also have the broadband DECA connected to your router with PS, then you should remove any ETHERNET cables you have attached to the 24s.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 19
    Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    Ok I don't have the WHD kit (misunderstood what the WHD was earlier). I have the units connected to the internet via the Ethernet port on the units them self. Could this be the issue? Should they be connected a different way because of the MRV and SWiM?? Also don't I need to be connected to the internet for On Demand?

Appreciate the feed back I'm getting!!!

10. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    You have a very common problem, IMO. IDK why it happens but it does. Basically, you have the WHD w/o Internet Connection kit. By trying to get INTERNET connection, you've defeated the WHD by connecting ETHERNET cables.

To get back to a supported WHD MRV setup, you need to do two things:
    1) Call Directv or your installer and have them connect the broadband DECA (aka Internet Connection Kit) cost s/b $25.
    2) After removing the ETHERNET cables, run satellite setup on each box that had the ETHERNET cable plugged into it. It's important to step through sat setup all the way to enable the Internal DECA modules on your 24 series boxes.

If you'll refer back to the diagram, it's best to have a wired ETHERNET switch between your broadband DECA and router: coax from splitter to DECA & PS, & ETHERNET from DECA to ETHERNET switch, then router. Ideally, the PC (for Directv2PC) and the remainder of your wired network would also be on that switch and only wire connecting from switch to router.

Note: You can elect to have the unsupported MRV if you do not want to purchase the Internet Connection Kit. But understand that your WHD MRV will be going through your ETHERNET and that may be causing the issues you have. It is possible either setup would work if a good switch was placed in front of your existing router.

I would recommend the Internet Connection Kit.

11. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    Now I have a network w/domain setup in my house so the internet connection kit would have to come from a switch not my router...correct?

12. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Does your router have an open slot available for the ICK to connect to?

13. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    yes it has 3 open but that would bypass the DHCP from the server.

14. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    I did an experiment last night. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the HR24 and the box rebooted a couple more times on it's own so I guess maybe the box is jacked up even though I still don't believe the hard drive is.

15. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes, I recommended the network switch because I think you may still experience the same problems in OP even with the ICK.

I think the wired network switch placed in front of router s/b recommended for both supported WHD and unsupported ETHERNET setups. The absence of the network switch seems to be a recurring theme with failing WHD setups in the directv forums.

16. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Whenever you unplug an ETHERNET cable from a 24 series box, you should always run satellite setup, stepping all the way to last step to properly re-enable the Internal DECA.

I somewhat suspect that the ETHERNET cable may be contributing to the reboots but to be sure, you need to check History tab under Manage Recordings and see if there are guide update errors. Also, run system test after satellite setup to check for errors.

17. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    I'll try it tonight and post the results. Thanks!

18. alancurry

alancurry Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    >> All the tests passed except the SMART tests both short and long.

My HR21-700 is in the process of being replaced. All tests pass except for the long and short SMART tests. Both return a x77 code. The box reboots itselfs on a average of 3 times a day. Rewinding followed by forwarding will also cause it to lock but not all the time. In my opinion, the hard drive is in the process of failing.

Just my $.02.

Alan

19. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    Ok I did the sat setup again with the ethernet unplugged. Box did not reboot all night all the way up til the tech got to my house yesterday around 2PM. He said that I needed the internet to go thru the cable not plugged into the ethernet (as armchair stated above...thanks for that info). But he said it would not cause the box to reboot. He couldn't say what the exact issues was that was causing the reboot but he mentioned hard drive, power supply or motherboard. So they ended up replacing the box. So even though I lost many shows I hadn't watched yet and my kids 30 Scooby Doo episodes at least I have a box that hopefully works.