1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 intermittent meltdown

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Maruuk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Getting extreme pixelization/audio breakup and picture freeze on various channels at various times. I thought it was a hard drive failure until I noticed it was happening live. Happens on portions of shows, or sometimes the complete show. Doesn't seem to care if it's an OTA over the AM21 or coming in on SAT.

The signal strength seems fine all around. Tried resetting, seems to clear it for a while, then it just comes back. I better check the internal temp, but it's quite cool in the room and the ventilation seems fine.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
    * When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
    * You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
    * Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
    * If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

3. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Thanks Litz will do! Ran the basic test and everything checked out. HD temp 111 degrees. Now will move to the deeper checkouts. All other tests check out fine, doing the surface test now.

The meltdowns seem to happen more towards the end of long programs. Weird.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Out of the four 24-500s I've had, two went nuts. First time it happened, my son and I used to watch it just to see what it was gonna do next. Cracked us up....:lol:

Rich

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Yeah, it IS kind of entertaining! Pic goes crazy into psychedelic pixelville.

Ok, passed all tests with flying colors except one: It failed the AV decoder test 3 times in a row. I know what a Capt. Midnight decoder ring is...but...

In a related thread, Stuart doesn't think the decoder test fail means much.

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Mr. Fixit is coming out tomorrow morning. The CSR-tech didn't think it sounded like a hard drive.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    When was the last time your Dish was aligned or you had a servcie visit?

That may be the reason it might not be your Receiver. :)

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    March when they installed the HR-24. All my strength numbers are still rockin good. But he'll check all that tomorrow. That last guy checked the strength and integrity, found it good and just swapped DVRs. "Probably the hard drive." Had similar symptoms. They don't really do any diagnostics beyond signal integrity.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In my case the 500 was so wacky, watching it was funnier than any of the comedies on TV. Kinda hated to give it up. I can't remember all the things it did, but I wrote about it at the time. In hilarious detail.

I changed the HDD (I owned the 500), that did nothing. I put it in a different place on a different SWiM, that did nothing. So, I finally got it replaced. I hope they sent it out to someone else in the same condition I sent it back in. I do like to share laughs.....:lol:

Rich

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    They did, I got it. Thanks ever so much!

I told tech about the AV decoder test fail. He had no idea what an AV decoder was.

I called their tech support. She had no idea what an AV decoder was. So I had to talk her over to the test screen on her unit, and hers failed too.

Directv: more like DIYtv.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's the reason for our existance....:lol: So, what happened? Don't be afraid of another 500, by the way. They aren't all wacky.

Rich

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The tech replaced some of the antenna cable, replaced at least one LNB, and stuck in new BBGs or whatever those pigtail adapter thingies are on the back of the unit. And so far just one tiny glitch. Basically seems ok now. Though one never knows.

He said, "The HR24-500 I installed for you back in March was a brand new one. All I install now are refurbs. So you're better off if we can keep the one you have going."

Which works for me. Apparently the whole AV Decoder-FAIL deal is some bug, apparently all HR24-500s fail that test. Kind of like the Seinfeld Master of Your Domain test.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Does it turn itself on randomly? That's the first thing that insane 500 I had started doing. After that it was a pretty quick trip to madness.

Rich

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    It's on all the time anyways. You turn yours off?

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Always, just a habit. I had the wacky 500 in my bedroom and kept noticing that it was on when I hit the head in the middle of the night. I'd shut it off, thinking that I had not turned it off earlier, but the next time I'd look, it would be on again.

And then...... :lol:

Rich

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You should. Lets it know it can do all the background processing that can slow it down when you're definetly not using it.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Its possible that test is meaningless on the hr24-500 only. It uses a different kind of video output than any other hd receiver they have, so that may not be compatible with the testing it runs for that particular test, so there is no way to know if that test is actually telling you something is wrong or not.

But obviously, there are gremlins in your unit. :D

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Didn't know that about the unique video output, interesting.

Watched a bunch more tonight and no psychedelia so so far so good.

So you're supposed to turn it off, never knew that.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just remember, it's not supposed to turn itself on. Once that starts happening....

Rich

20. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    That's what she said.