1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24-500 Random Pixelating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by static2229, Apr 17, 2013.

1. static2229

static2229 Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I have a SWM-16 setup running (3) HR24-500s and (1) HR34. I have one HR24-500 (2 months old) that will randomly pixelate for no common reason. Sometimes during live TV, sometimes during playback of shows. When it pixelates during live TV I check other receivers on the same channel and its 100% fine on other receivers. Also, this happens on a random channel. Last night 331 was unwatchable, but other channels I tried were 100%.

I have reset, unplugged, etc. The receiver is in a rack-mount in the basement with 2" + of room all of the way around it. I find it hard to believe that heat is an issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be simply a bad receiver?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You'll need to do more diligent sleuthing to find the source of the problem but it seems likely (but not assured) that it is an issue with the DVR itself.

Does the pixellation happen in the same place as you view and review the content or does it appear to be independent of what you're watching?

What temperature does the HR24 say it is running? Never assume it should be wonderful just because you've jumped through what you think would be the critical hoops.

If you subscribe to WHDS, have you tried viewing a recording from the errant DVR on another box?

Have you swapped boxes to see if the problem follows the blinky box?

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It could. Probably is. You will probably have to paint a dimmer picture of its performance to CS to get them to replace it, however. But do it soon or you will have to pay the freight as well. Heat is an unlikely culprit, but you can get the internal temp from "settings".

Here is what we know for sure. Pixillation is caused by buffer underflow in the decoder, which implies data is not getting there in a timely manner. Since it is on recordings as well, it is probably downstream of reception, and you can eliminate everything outside the DVR.

Try this: go to (or channel up and down to) a channel without pausing or using trick play. This puts the DVR in a mode where the HDD is not in line (the minute you pause or rewind that ends and the HDD is then on line). If you see random tiling then, this probably eliminates the HDD. All that is left is the decoder itself as a suspect at that point.

4. static2229

static2229 Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I picked a show that we watch a lot and set it up to record on the problemsome HR24-500 and also on the HR34. While watching the show recorded on the HR24-500 it started pixelating. I then went back into the LIST on the HR24-500 and played the recording from the HR34 through its shared playlist. The show did not pixelate at all and played through 100%.

I am thinking that it is something with the HD in the HR24-500?

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That would seem to eliminate the decoder on the HR24 and point instead to the HDD.

One of the advantages of using an external HDD is that you can turn it on or off which can help pinpoint problems on either HDD.