1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24-500 to HR34/44 - Whats Needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Forsberg21, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Ok, I have a HR24-500 and I am not all that savvy with the language, but I'll try to explain what I have and hopefully you can tell me what I have to do. I currently have 2 coax cables going into the DVR. I have a slimeline 5 dish with a single cable running into the house. Not sure what happens after this, but I do have 2 coax cables running into the back of the HR24-500. If I want to get the HR34(actually the HR44 if available) would I need anything else so that the PIP would work on the HR34/44 (i.e. power inserter or a single line LNB?)

Also, if I do upgrade to the Hr34/44, since I have the protection plan, could I have a tech come out for free to install the Genie and anything else that may be needed, like a single line LNB and/or the power inserter? Would the tech bring that stuff with him if needed, as part of the free upgrade?

2. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    You would need to have a SWM setup, with one line coming from the dish i would say you do have SWM just not sure why there is 2 cables into the back of the DVR when you only need one with this setup...

Your best bet is to call Directv and see what they can offer you. You might be able to get a free upgrade, they will send out a tech to install and they would provide everything needed to get the system working properly. Keep in mind that a free upgrade (or adding a new receiver) would subject you to a new 2 year commitment.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you order an upgrade for a Genie, a tech will come out and upgrade your entire system as required. I am a little confused by your setup.You have two cables going to the DVR, but you mention only one cable coming from the dish, which would imply that you already have a SWM setup. Do you have BBC's connected to the back of the DVR? A little more info on your setup would be helpful.

As for the Genie, you will have the ability to perform PIP.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press the dash button on your remote and report back what the message on the screen says.

5. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    It says Slimline 5.....and I have the protection plan, so I am eligible for the free upgrade. I don't understand why there are 2 cables hooked up to the back of the DVR, but I swear there is only 1 cable running from the dish......maybe I should take another look? I'm at work right now, so it would have to wait. But it seems that if I take DirecTv up on their free upgrade offer (due to having the protection plan) I could at least get an HR34 and any other things I would need to get it up an running, right? Signing up for another 2 years is no big deal, but if I do this, I may ask for some freebies as well to be thrown in..... :)

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    As the 2 other posters have already stated, I would definitely call DTV. You will spend way more money trying to do this yourself than having them do it.
    Call and see what they say. You do not have to commit to anything .

7. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Well, I called and got what I wanted. I took them up on the free upgrade offer (due to having the protection plan) and the tech will come out on Sept 3rd with the Genie and any necessary other equipment to get the DVR up and running. I will send back the HR24-500, as I only have 1 TV. But get this,they also took off roughly $48 a month from my bill (I have the Premier Acct.) The fees waived were: $5 paperless billing/$10 sports package/$10 Advanced Receiver DVR/$5 HBO/$5 Showtime/$5 Starz/$5 Cinemax/$3 for Whole Home DVR fee. PLUS, ............they gave me Sunday Ticket for free (with Red Zone Channel) as well!!!

Not bad huh? The waived fees ( at least $40 of them) will last for 6 months and save me roughly a total of around $300 within the next 12 months total (throw in Sunday Ticket and that total would be around $600!!!) I am one happy camper, thank you DirecTV!!!!

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Good deal. If you don't have a SWM setup, you will on 9/3. :)

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Good deal.. We got the same off here a while back...

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Excellent. Thanks for the update.

11. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I do have another question......I have 2 lines running into my house from the dish (I have an HR24-500) and there are 2 lines running into my DVR, I understand I need a single line SWM LNB and probably a power inserter (is a power inserter needed?) My question is...can the tech still use one of the two current cables running from the dish to into the house that already exisit into my soon to be HR34 (praying for a HR44?)

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes!
    Unless it's not up to spec, in which case it'd be replaced.

13. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks Laxguy....I am pretty sure it is RG6 and it looked to be in good shape too. The tech will be out between 4-8PM on Sept 3rd to upgrade everything to the HR44 (I am thinking positively ;) ) and it should be an easy thing to simply add the single line SWM LNB and the power inserter (is this needed?) to my existing set-up. I plan to have the HR24-500 already disconnected and the cable ready for him to work with before he shows up to make things go quicker. I don't think it will take him long to do the job, which will make both of us happy at that time fo the day.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You will need the PI as that is what powers the SWM on the LNB. You should have a pretty easy setup. The tech should replace the LNB with the SWM-LNB and use one of the current coax cables at the dish. They will connect the PI to the coax being used and the Genie to the output of the PI. If the PI and the Genie are close together, you might want to have a splitter added and put the PI off of one leg of the splitter and the Genie off of the other. Then, just plug your Ethernet cable into the Genie and you'll be all set. If the tech wants to use a Cinema Connection Kit or the wireless setup of an HR44 to connect to your router, let them do it and then just remove the CCK after they leave and plug in the Ethernet cable. A menu reset at that point will have you going.

- Merg

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, a PI will be required.

16. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I would much rather be hardwired with the Ethernet cable I have been using than going wireless. By the way, my set up looks like this (the current Hr24-500 is in the middle of the stand at the bottom, between the center speaker stand.....

[​IMG]

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Are you sure you're getting enough sound there??? :)

Looks awesome. Thanks for the post.

18. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks Laxguy. It was a labor of love, but I am finally happy with where my HT currently is at....the room is full of Lord of the Rings memorabilia that you dont' see. What you don't know as well is there is a projection screen that comes down in front of the TV, so I can watch my movies in 92" of glory! :) I know my stuff when it comes to Home Theater, but I have lost a few steps in keeping up with DirecTv. As you can guess, I will be on top of the tech's every move around my set up, and I will be the one who be plugging anything in behind the stand.....my kids aren't allowed to go within 1 foot of the speakers/TV, so neither will the tech without me right there next to him.

19. Forsberg21

Forsberg21 New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my install went great yesterday. Tech was in and out in no time. I had everything ready for him, so that helped too. I did not get an HR44 however (just none available in my area, which is Lancaster, PA.) So, I got an HR34-700, but it seems to do everything just fine.....so I am a very happy customer. Now I can't wait to watch my free Sunday Ticket with PIP! :)

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Glad to hear everything went well... Go have some ice cream at The Oregon Dairy on me! :)

- Merg