1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24/500 won't play live TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fsquid, Jan 20, 2013.

1. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Have this receiver in my bedroom and it plays recordings, but not live TV. Sat settings look fine and if I reset the receiver it works fine again for a few days. Any thoughts?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you get any error messages when it will not play live TV ? If so, what does it say ?
    How does the receiver react at the time it will not play ? Is it frozen, pixelated ?

3. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    No error listed, screen is black.

4. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    When you can not get Live TV, can you bring up the menu screen? If so, run system test and tell us what it says.

5. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    SWM not detected it says. What is that?

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch.
    Your system uses a Power Inserter. They are usually close to a TV. They are about 2-1/4" square by 5 inches long. It should have a green light on if it is working properly.
    See if you can locate this and if the light is on.
    If it is you possibly have a loose connection in one of the coax cables in that line.

7. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Green light on, all coax lines are tight

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Did you run the system test when it wasn't working? If you reboot it and get live TV back, does it then say that SWM is detected?

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Maybe an HDMI handshake problem? What if you only pull the HDMI cable and plug it back in? Assuming you're using HDMI that is....

If it is a signal problem - like cable/swm/dish you should get the 'Searching for...' screen - not a black screen right?

10. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    It's a coax cable issue. The IRD won't see the LNB. Check all of the connections that you can access and make sure everything is tight. The SWM PI may be failing or the LNB, too.

11. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Are there other receivers? Are they working normally? How are they connected to the SWM, i.e., do you have a splitter? If you can get to the splitter, try switching the cable to the bedroom with another port on the splitter and see if the problem persists, or moves to another receiver.

Do you have any idea how long the cable run to this receiver is? If all else fails, can you swap another receiver into this location? This would tell us if the problem is the receiver or the cable/switch/LNB path leading to the bedroom.

12. xlate011370

xlate011370 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I have a rather odd issue with my directv. I have an HR24-500 DVR in living room, 4 HR25-500 in kids rooms (receivers only). I can stream movies from my computer to every tv in the house except for the one in the living room that has the HR24-500 DVR. I get the message on anything I try to play, " Sorry the video rate of xxxxxx exceeds the maximum supported by MediaShare. I have tried running a cat 5 cable directly from my router to the DVR thinking the wireless may be the problem. Didnt work. So I then took a HR25 receiver from my kids bedroom and hooked it up to that tv, and all plays fine. Therefore it must be something with that DVR box. Does anyone have any solutions to that? Oh and the reason I dont just leave one of their receivers hooked up to that tv is because I cant pause live tv then. Thanks.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Plugging an Ethernet cable into a HR24 disables the DECA (coax) network connection. You have to disconnect the Ethernet and reboot to go back to DECA. You also mention wireless but didn't offer any more configuration. Can you post a diagram of your setup?

Also, you can record live TV and immediately play it on a Hxx receiver with full trickplay.

14. xlate011370

xlate011370 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    AMD 8 Core pc going to Linksys E1200 router (hard wired). When Directv was out they hooked up some little Deca box to my router and said that would allow me to stream to all the receivers. Like I said, it does stream to every one of them, except the main DVR box. I have time warner (roadrunner cable) if that matters at all. I'm not sure what more information you need. I have tried using various programs, with all giving me that same message. I have tried Tvshare, Serviio, and Tversity.

15. xlate011370

xlate011370 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    sorry forgot to mention, everything else on the HR receiver works fine. yes I can record live tv and immediately play it with full trickplay

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Do you have an ethernet cable hooked into the back of the HR24? If so you need to remove it and reboot the HR24 to get it back on the DECA network.

17. xlate011370

xlate011370 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    No I do not have an ethernet cable in there. I have had directv for about a year now and never had an ethernet cable plugged into it. I just tried that over the weekend to see if it would make a difference. It did not, so I unplugged it and I have rebooted the HR24. Do you think the HR 24 just might be bad?