1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 exits playback late at night

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jhoward, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jhoward

jhoward Cool Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Did a search, didn't see this answered anywhere.

I sometimes record certain programs from my DVR to a DVD. Usually I will start the DVD recording before going to bed, since the programs are long. This has worked fine for years until the last several weeks.

Recently, these programs have spontaneously stopped playback in the middle, as if a little gremlin came in and hit the exit button. I can see on the recorded DVD that the program suddenly exited to live TV. It happens between 2-3 hours into the program. When I check the DVR, the program shows the "resume" option at that same point.

It only happens late at night, between 2 and 3:30 or so A.M. When I play back a long program back during the day (starting around 10AM), it plays to completion. The amount it plays back and the time the exit occurs seem random; it's never exactly the same, even for the same programs - but it happens consistently within those intervals, for multiple programs.

Is the box doing something late at night that would cause it to exit playback? Guide data or something? Does it assume I'm asleep and not watching anyway?

It's an HR24, with the last software update on 9/28. Dumping to DVD before that update worked fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Are you using an RF remote? If so, a close neighbor also with a RF remote could be the issue. Just to be sure, either use IR only, or program the remote to the DVR specifically (as if you had more than one in the same room).

But of course the first thing is to reboot the DVR.

3. jhoward

jhoward Cool Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. That's not a bad idea - I am indeed using RF, and I had wondered if maybe my own remote was hiccuping or something. I thought all the RF remotes had to be programmed to their specific DVRs, but I'll try IR and see what happens. I'm also in an apartment so who knows what manner of radio interference is flying around.

I did try a reset already, shoulda mentioned that.

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Yeah I would definitely lean towards RF interference.

Kevin

5. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    It may have come to that by now, but I just reprogrammed a new remote for a DVR sharing a room with 3 other DVRs, and I used what they refer to as an "advanced" setup used if you have more than two DVRs in the same room, so that implies there is a simpler version that does not marry the remote directly to the DVR. But even that is limited to I think 9 or 10 code sets, and if you and your neighbor coincidentally choose the same one...

So try IR; if that fixes it and you miss RF, go back but use one of the other code sets.

6. bdmarine

bdmarine New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I have noticed something on my HR23 in the last few weeks that may be related. Late at night (after 3:00 AM EDT) while just watching a channel it goes into screen saver mode. If you leave it alone, after a while, the regular programming comes back.

7. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I guess this is only partly related to this discussion, but I see a lot of situations where if I leave the DVR on overnight it may arbitrarily switch to some other channel on its own. Since I have my remotes married to the receivers it should not really be neighbor-related, but I think I will take my own advice and pick a new code set next time it happens.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason why a DVR should do anything other than what you instruct it to, so I find this behavior completely annoying. I try to leave the DVR set to an unsupported channel (one in the OTA scan that I can't actually receive) just for peace and quiet during the times I am not actually using the DVR to play back something (which is the workaround I felt necessary to adopt for this DVR that was never a problem with Tivo).

If I fall asleep and it changes channels to some idiot trying to push a real estate scam at 3 AM or some steroid-laced skank leading a bunch of other mindless skanks in some stupid shadow-boxing fitness routine I am not the happiest person to be around until I can shut that channel up. Vampire rules should apply; the way I see it, nothing should be able to blast its way into my home that I have not already invited in, including TV shows I never had any earthly idea of watching.