1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24 Fan Repair?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ericL, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ericL

ericL New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I think my HR24's fan is going bad. Does anyone know of any way to get it replaced without losing my disk? DirecTV is no help -- receiver problem equals full replacement, period.

thanks.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If it were mine I would open it up and change it, but it is against the rental agreement.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The HR24's are tricky to open without causing damage. Best to call for a replacement DVR.

4. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    I would do the same thing regardless of the lease terms. No way I would chance getting a HR21-23 after enjoying the speed of a 24, sorry !

5. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    I've been told they only replace HR24s with HR24s. Whether or not they actually do is another story.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can buy a replacement fan at many places such as Bestbuy and if you do a Search you can find many posts that explain how to open the DVR which actually is quite easy if you follow the instructions.

The whole operation shouldn't take no more than 30 or 40 minutes.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    That's interesting, if true. Since what I have always heard is that they have no way to pick a model of DVR when they send out a replacement.

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

If it's an owned receiver then you can probably just replace the fan. Open it get the fan measurements and find a replacement online.

However, if it’s a leased receiver, then opening the receiver would violate the lease agreement so if you broke something while had the case open you would be liable.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/legal/equipment_lease_addendum

Mike

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    They do this under certain circumstances such as you have DECA and WHDVR Service then they would Replace the HR24 with another HR24. That is what I heard and I forgot who posted that information.

10. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    My HR24-500 with the defective front panel was just recently replaced with an HR24-200.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's not what I've experienced. I'd much rather replace the fan than lose programming. I've had all my owned 24s open and once you do one, it only takes a few minutes to open the box. In fact, I think they're the easiest HRs to take apart.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think they do try to replace the 24s with 24s especially if you have MRV. I've had a couple go south on me and I've gotten 24s back each time.

Rich

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I agree. Once you know how to open an HR24 it only takes thirty seconds as opposed to a minute or more for the previous HR2x's.

Mike

14. ericL

ericL New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I forgot to mention it is leased. The DTV supervisor I talked to suggested there are companies that do repair on these units and suggested I could do that (though he seemed to be focusing on the DTivo units, even though he knows this was not one). I guess in my dreams I figured there might be some company that would agree to cover any losses due to the repair but that sounds silly as I type it.

I'm just going to be pretty pissed if I have to lose my recordings again for a stupid fan (just did a few months ago but getting an HR24 to replace my older unit was worth it). Today the fan sounds fine, so maybe it'll be OK for now. Yesterday the system overheated and the fan sounded sick.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm sure weaknees.com would be thrilled to replace that fan. At a price that will probably overwhelm you.

Rich

16. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    So what do I need to open my HR24? I have a bad fan, too. Is it security Torx? Anyone know the size so I can go buy one before fumbling around back there.

17. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    t10 security IIRC

fans in 20/21 are 60mm iirc

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I need one for a 24... any idea?

19. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Most 24s don't need anything to open them. If someone doesn't know I'll check my -100 for you, just send me a PM to remind me.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All you need to take the cover off is a couple of old credit cards cut up so that you have a little less than a half inch strip to place in front of the latches that hold the top in place. You can open it up without the cutup cards, but it's easier to use them. I've never changed the fan on one so I don't know if you even need a security Torx set. I've got a whole set of them so I don't even pay attention to the sizes of the sockets. I just use that one that fits.

If I remember correctly there are four latches, two on each side and one towards the back, might be two towards the back. If you gently pry the sides out a tad you'll see the latches. You just slide the credit card piece between the latch and it's holder and leave it there until you've got all of them in place and then it comes apart.

Rich