1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 in an RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by csyrell, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1 of 20
    csyrell

csyrell New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I'm considering purchasing an RV. I have ruled out an in motion antennae as I cannot get HD channels. So I will probably go with a roof mounted dish. My question is, will my HR24 DVR be able to play recorded pre-programs while I'm traveling down the road, without having any satellite reception?

2. Jan 5, 2013 #2 of 20
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe that you need to have a satellite signal in order to play the recordings that are currently on the hard drive. This has been discussed here several times lately.

BTW, how's the weather up Route 81 from me?

3. Jan 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    csyrell

csyrell New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I'd be using the HR 24 that's in my home, bringing it out to the RV whenever we go on a trip. Maybe I'll unhook the cable and see if I can play recordings. That might answer my question. I guess in general, I'm also wondering will any dish work with my receiver. Typical weather day up here...Syracuse gray lol

4. Jan 5, 2013 #4 of 20
    FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    Our HR21s will play recordings with the antenna down, at least for a day or two. It doesn't immediately block waiting for a signal. But we also don't turn it all the way off when we're traveling, so that might help. I don't know if the HR24 is significantly different.

5. Jan 5, 2013 #5 of 20
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    DBSTALK Member Rich just posted in another thread that he takes his HR24 with him every year on vacation and just plugs the HDMI Cable into the TV and he then watches Recordings without a problem.

The trick is Not to connect it to a Dish as it might try to receive a signal and then when unsuccessfull it may try to Reboot the DVR to solve the problem.

I'm buying a Country Coach Affinity and it has a Motosat on top of it which is Great for easy setup but they are not cheap.

Also, I will be installing an A/B Switch so I can switch from the Motosat to another portable Tripod with an SL3 on it in case I can't get Line Of Sight with my Motosat (if I am parked under trees for instance).

6. Jan 5, 2013 #6 of 20
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you do try and test it yourself, disconnect both the dish, and the power cord, then plug power back in and let it start up. You might have to press EXIT or MENU when it gets to the searching for satellite step. If you can get past that, then you should be able to watch recordings, at least for a while (people have reported anywhere from a few hours to a month or more, but it varies widely).

7. Jan 5, 2013 #7 of 20
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Just don't let it power down after your dish is down. If my HR20 reboots without sat signal it often gives me trouble, so I make sure the inverter in on line before I disconnect from the grid.

8. Jan 5, 2013 #8 of 20
    csyrell

csyrell New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Wow! Thanks everyone for such great advice! I'll give these things a try, and I'll report back once I figure it out.

9. Jan 5, 2013 #9 of 20
    csyrell

csyrell New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Worked perfect! Thanks again everyone!

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How do you know this? I'm just guessing based on a motor vessel I volunteer on which has just installed a little globe on top of the aft stack, and it gets HD. Unfortunately the guy who chose the system went for cheap, and so I was treated to an hour of Dish when last aboard. I was told that unit costs $3500. I am hoping it can be converted to hold onto DIRECTV® signals. Bad on me, I didn't get the name of the system.

Anyone else familiar with a globe that's about a foot in diameter?

11. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    You talking about a Marine unit? The "globe" antennas for boats are generally not usable on RVs because of the height of the unit. Depending on the RV, you may have less than 12" of usable height above the roof for the antenna. That's not enough for the marine units.

At the time, no one makes an RV compatible dome antenna that receives the Ka band signals needed for DirecTV HD. Dish network uses Ku band for SD and HD, so there are domes available that will do Dish. The other problem with dome antennas is that they only have one LNB, and need to re-aim if you switch satellites. That's fine for DirecTV SD, because all the DirecTV SD programming is on one satellite (101). Dish is split between 110 and 119, so multiple receivers or a DVR is a real problem on Dish (SD or HD).

If you want HD and multiple tuner capability, an RV dome is not going to work.

I suspect the unit that boat had was this one: http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/Marine-Systems/Television/Compact/TracVision-M1DX.aspx

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    FD-

Thank you. Answered all my questions and then some, including speculation. I was afraid there was some limiting factor and see there are several.

And you hit the exact instrument I saw on the aft stack.

BTW, the vessel is the USS Potomac, FDR's Presidential Yacht, open to all for touring dockside and several cruises a month on SF Bay. She's docked at Jack London Square in Oakland.

13. rotohead

rotohead Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I've used my Directv receivers in my trailer for years and the one thing you might want to consider if you are going to use it in many different locations is buying a ground tripod. Roof mounts are going to be more limited in avoiding some interference. Also the Directv Slimline (SL5) dish is very heavy and the trick is finding a tripod built for a SL5. I built my own.

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can get a Dish Dome In Motion Satellite Dish which will allow you to receive HD Dish Channels but since Directv went to MPEG-4 you can not buy an In Motion Directv Dome capable of locking onto the HD Satellites.

The only unit is an In Motion Dome (3 ft high which it too tall to put on top of an RV) and it is built for slower moving Yachts and cost about $14,000.

You can get a Stationary Motosat which will automatically lock onto the HS Satellite 99 and 103 but is Stationary so you need an A/B switch to have an Alternate Tripod/SL3 Dish which you can move to a location to get Line Of Sight when you can't use Motosat because a bad LOS Condition. :D

15. csyrell

csyrell New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Roto, am I limited to getting a slimline dish, or would any Directv compatible dish work? I have a slimline at home.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'll be moving to a house with an SD system in place. Any chance my HD receivers will pick up anything? (The dish is quite round, and looks old, but it is currently bringing in SD programming.) I will be using mover's connection, but wondered what I might see before they install new dish.

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    All receivers will work fine on the 18in dish, just choose the appropriate settings during setup.

Edit: SD only of course

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks. Big disappointment for a few days, but understandable. I was hoping some channels in HD might be received from a bird that might be sharing bandwidth with an SD beam.

19. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    Originally HD was on 110 or 119, but I don't think there were ever any on 101.

20. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010