1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24...odds of getting one much better by phone or service call?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Moved my HR23 into the bedroom today, and put a new HR24 in it's place. Some minor issues that the HR23 was having are within the receiver, I'm pretty sure, and that should be confirmed in a couple days with the HR24. If so, I want to try and get a second HR24, and I know If I call in, you never know what they will send you. I don't think anything has changed as far as that goes. I have a free service call on my account, so If I go that route, I'm assuming my odds would be pretty good, as the installer usually doesn't care too much which receiver he gives you for a swap, depending on what's on his truck. I'm assuming that most installers are carrying the HR24 pretty regularly now, yes? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You get whatever they got or send...It's a crap shoot. {redacted}

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Installers often and regularly are stocked with refurb HD-DVRs, from HR20s to HR23s. There is simply no way to predict what you might get. You *might* get to choose from what he has on the truck, but don't assume that HR24s will automatically be part of that mix.

As always, if you want an HR24, the only way to be sure is to lease it from a retailer.

4. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    This is very true. That said, from the stories here (which is a pretty small sample size), it is very likely you will get whatever refurb is on top if you call. I haven't seen too many people get shipped an HR24 as a replacement. Good chance of an HR24 from the truck from what we've seen here.

I had the same situation, and went for a truck roll to better the odds, and got my HR24.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I told the Directv CSR that I need the Installer to call me prior to coming to make sure I would be here and they noted it on my Order.

The Mastec Dispatcher called me and I told him what I would like and he checked and said that they had the HR24-500 and he would have the installer bring one with him.

They exchanged my HR20-100 for the HR24-500 at no cost to me but the installer balked because he said the DVR was working fine and I said that it had been rebooting many many times for no reason and wouldn't record many many times and if he wanted a nice tip he should go out to his truck and get me an HR24-500 which he did after saying "I guess your HR20-100 isn't working properly and he called Directv to tell them that and Replaced it with the HR24-500.

They love Tips and it was worth the money to me and to him so we were both happy.

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, I just talked to a CSR, and they said they could put it in the notes to send out an HR24, but there is no guarantee. Never hurts to ask. So truck roll it is. :)

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, but you should have told the CSR to put in the Notes for the Dispatcher to call you prior to coming (have the CSR put your Cell Phone Number or Home Number in the Notes) and the Dispatcher can tell you if they can accomodate you with the HR24 Model, then he can tell the Installer that you want one and if they have the HR24 in stock you will get one.

If you let the Dispatcher know in Advance what you are trying to Accomplish then he will know to Instruct the Installer to put an HR24 on his truck before he leaves to go to your house. They will accomodate you if they can but it must be Clear as to what you want.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Depends on the area. Right now I'm stocked with all 24 models both HD and HD-DVR.

Next week I might have all 20-23. You never know.

9. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I haven't set up the service call yet, but I will do exactly that when I do. In my post above the CSR was referring to putting it in the notes if they just shipped one out, and we both know that doesn't do anything. :)