1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR24: recording conflicting show

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by herzzreh, Sep 24, 2010.

1. herzzreh

herzzreh Cool Member

Sep 1, 2005
    In Series, do I have to select "Both" or "First-run" in order to record a later showing of the conflicting show? One I'm interested conflicts with two other at 9pm but is rerun at midnight.

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    It should do it automatically even with "First Run" selected.

3. herzzreh

herzzreh Cool Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Ah, I see.. it just scared me that they would not show up in the TDL. I guess it needs some time to refresh.

Also, if I want to record reruns of the old show, which option do I pick?

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    "Both"

IIRC, that is governed by the 28-day rule, meaning that if recorded or on the schedule in the previous 28 days, it will be ignored, which is done to prevent recording multiple showings of the same episode in the same flight (if Weeds airs the same ep 4 times this week, it will record only one of them)

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It should be set for “First Run”, unless you really do want repeats but “Both” is not necessary. I do this all the time. I have several SLs that I moved to the bottom of the priority list, banking on the fact that when they conflict they will record the next available showing.

It almost always records the showing later that night (early the next morning) but I have seen it record a Sunday night SL on Tuesday morning. That’s rare though and was related to some movie recording during late night showings on Sunday & Monday. However, it does illustrate that the SL will keep looking for the next available airing of the original first run until it gets it.

I really like the fact that I can take advantage of this “feature”. It allows us to have those USA, Syfy, Discovery, etc series and not miss the network shows we watch as family.

Move the SL with multiple showings to the bottom of you priority list and you’ll be good to go. It usually shows up in the To-Do list quickly but don't get discouraged it you don't see it. Sometimes, for what ever reason, it shows up right before. I don't even bother checking to see that it's been moved any more. It works and that's all that I care about. ;)

Mike

6. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    The 28 day rule doesn't apply here.

When you have two shows set to record on Monday at same time and request a 3rd show to record, the DVR asks you which episode to cancel (or neither). Canceling a scheduled recording for a show you have a Series Link/Season Pass to will automatically schedule the same episode the next time it airs.

I think if you just cancel a recording from the To Do List, then the 28 day rule applies.

As MicroBeta pointed out, the To Do List on the HR2* dvrs is slow to update, but *should* work.