1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24 whole home playback problem from HR23

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by marklyn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    Strange problem (I think).
    I have a new HR24-100 (Living Room). I have two HR23-700's (guest/master bedroom)
    When I use the HR24 to play back content on either of my HR23's, the content is unwatchable because it frequently freezes (video and audio) for a few seconds, every 2-3 seconds.
    When I play back content from either of my HR23's (from the other HR23 or the new HR24) it plays back fine with no freezes.
    I have verified the IP settings on my new HR24 are set fine, no IP conflicts, good DNS/Gateway IP addresses, etc. I've rebooted the HR24. I've also run the network connectivity test.
    All of my receivers are connected whole home via network cable and as far as I know my HR24 has latest software.

The HR24 can play back content I recorded on it just fine, just not from my HR23's.

I don't know where to begin to diagnose this issue.
    Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Did you do the install yourself? Are there Band Stop filters present on the HR24? Is each receiver on a fixed IP? Can you swap places and see what happens?

3. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    A DirecTV contractor came out and "installed" the HR24. Basically hooked it up, authorized it and ran a test, etc. I don't know what Band Stop filters are, so I can't answer that. Each receiver does have it's own fixed IP and being a network administrator, I'm confident all things IP are set up correctly.
    I did swap the receiver with one of the HR23's, but that made no difference.
    The HR24 does have the B Band converters though...

4. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    When you say they're connected via network cable, I assume you mean the Cat5/6 Ethernet route vs. moca? -and- that there is no wireless between the 3 DVRs in question?

If yes, try swapping cables... it's not all that likely but there could be a connection somewhere that's just good enough to pass a connectivity test but bad enough to not give you full throughput. I've got a hard-wired Ethernet based whole-home setup between 3 older DVRs and 2 receivers and it has never had a problem with freezing. I use Cat6 cables and a gigabit switch between them... I know it's overkill but didn't want to create a bottleneck in the future.

The only problem I have ever encountered was with one or more DVRs being "lost" from the list (usually after a power fault)... seems like the fix is always to restart the switch after all the DVRs are re-booted. Have you tried that? If you're not using a switch they're all connected to a router that is also accessing the internet there could be some issue with the port the HR24 is hooked up to.

Beyond any of these kinds of ideas, all I can think of is that the problem is with the HR24 and it could be SW release related. Mine are HR20s and an HR22.

Good luck,

Big K

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    My bad on nomenclature!
    Try running without the B Bands.....

6. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I did swap DVR locations but since the problem 'followed' the HR24 I don't see how it could be network, or switch, although I always reboot *everything* anyway, but of course I'm still having the problem. The HR24 has a very recent sw update too. I'm not sure what port you're talking about in regard to the HR24 but if you mean the network drop, since I switched units, that eliminates that thought. All of my DVR's are cat 5 network cabled, no wireless.
    Thanks for trying.

7. Rrspike

Rrspike Cool Member

Oct 12, 2011
    hi, are you trying to watch what you have on your other dvrs on your hr24. if you are and i understand you are havining issues. the whole home dvr only works with the swim systems as far as i know. and on the hr23s you have two have white boxes called reciver decas on the back of them, hr24 had it built in. as far as i can tell you have the old type of hi def system ka/ku which has bbc's on the back of the dvr's and as far as i know from my experiance it wont work with out the swim system it was designed for.
    hope this help you
    SPIKE

8. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I am not the expert but it sure sounds like your problem is with the 24. Have you tried doing something else with it that puts a heavy load on the ethernet connection (e.g. download an on-demand program in HD)? If that works and performs at roughly the same speed (to download) as your other HRs, there must be something going on with the box or software that doesn't like doing MRV through ethernet. One of the reasons I haven't looked into trading up any of my DVRs is that I haven't had time to do the research potential problems with mixing the newer ones with old ones and since we are heavy users of ethernet-based MRV, I don't want to mess up a good thing. Also, for now, I am not feeling inclined to move to swim either since it really wouldn't do anything more than support a new DVR that might require it - maybe the new media server might justify it... possible winter project.

One last crazy idea - have you tried running a direct, single wire ethernet connection between the 24 and one of your other DVRs (using the second port on the DVR)? Plenty has been written in this forum about why you shouldn't do this long-term for performance reasons (I never had a problem with it) but it might be a way to completely eliminate any possible issues with your home network.

9. TAnsley

TAnsley AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    Round Rock,...
    No you don't. I don't use DECA at all and it works fine with plain Ethernet.

What I DO notice on my system (HR24 attempting to watch a show on my HR23) is that many times, when the show is going into a commercial break, the playback freezes. I have to hit the FF button and then the PLAY button for the show to resume playing normally. Does not happen all of the time.

10. Rrspike

Rrspike Cool Member

Oct 12, 2011
    k so i have never seen it used that way, the only way i have seen it work is with the swim system that is how we were trained on how to hook it up.

11. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I think I figured out my problem. I have a switch up in my living room to feed my PS3, HR24-100 & Bravia TV. Notice the switch lights were going crazy even with nothing turned on, so I powered off the switch and back on. The lights weren't nearly as erratic and now I can watch content from any of my HR23-700's from my HR24-100! My switch must have been pewking out trash traffic and impairing the bandwidth.

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Glad you got it sorted! But I am still baffled by any band converters on the HR24.....

13. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006

Why is that, should there not be any on the HR24?

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR24 is made for a SWiM system that doesn't use BBCs, "but" it can also be used on the older "legacy" system, where it does need BBCs, but this means the internal DECA [networking] can't be used.

15. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    I have dual coax runs to all of my DVR's so I guess it is the splitter I have in the attic for the reason why I have B Band converters?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That isn't a "splitter" you have but a switch. While to the end user, the difference doesn't matter, the way the systems work is a big difference.
    "Your system", requires every coax to be connected to the switch, with the SWiM/splitter system, you can connect several receivers/DVRs to the same coax.

17. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    No, you have B-Band Converters because you are running dual coax, instead of the newer Single-wire Multiswitch (SWM).

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe it might help to explain what you have and what a SWiM does [differently].
    You have a switched base system. All signals are "merely" switched to the coax going to each tuner. The BBC converts some of these into the range that the tuner needs.
    With the SWiM system, the SWiM acts like a tuner and converts the signals to one frequency group for each receiver connected.

19. marklyn

marklyn AllStar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks for the explanation. The installer asked me if I wanted to switch over to the SWiM system but since I already had dual coax to my other receivers, there didn't seem to be a need to do so.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yeah well..." there are advantages, but "a customer" might not know this ahead of time.
    DirecTV is basically moving to all SWiM systems, and some of the newer receivers only work on a SWiM system.