1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR24s backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by byrd, Aug 27, 2010.

1. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    I recently received 2 HR24s from amazon.com. I've got my new service all set up with D*, but unfortunately they can't schedule me for an install until Sept 27th. I'm pretty anxious to try out the new boxes, but I don't know if they are compatible with my current setup.

Currently I have two old (2003) SD DTivos. I have one of the older 3 LNB elliptical dishes (don't know if there's a specific name for this type of dish). Can I swap out the old DTivos for the HR24s without any issues? Obviously, I'm not expecting the HD channels. I'm thinking that MRV may not work with the older multi-switch? Also can I connect both tuners - the wife is a Dual Live Buffer addict? I just want to try out the new boxes and start playing around with the D* user interface, maybe start setting up a few recordings.

Oh, the HR24s have already been activated, so that's not an issue. They said they needed to activate them to place my upgrade order since I had purchased the units on my own.

Thanks in advance!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, the HR24 will work (and get the same channels) as the current DTivo with that dish. Swap and authorize. You will need two lines from the multiswitch for dual tuners. MRV will only work with SWM HD Dish, or you can connect the two together through a ethernet switch on your home network, which will require you calling DirecTv to enable MRV ($3/mo)

3. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think about the ethernet. I should have though since that's how I have the DTivos connected right now. I think that MRV has already been enabled. They gave me a credit for most of the services after they found out that they couldn't get an installer out for 4 weeks. I already have 2 two lines run to each of the Tivos. Sounds like I should be able to do a quick swap, and be up and running in SD.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep, and HD Mpeg4 they might send from the 101 satellite. I havent checked lately, but there might be some of the special sports mixes or maybe channel 101.

5. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Don't forget! With a 4line LNB you need B-Band Converters!!!

6. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    I don't have a 4LNB dish. I'm having a little difficulty, so looked it up this morning. I have an Phase III, 3-LNB, 18"x20" dish.

Unfortunately, when I hook everything up, the setup windows say there is NO signal. There is an Order ID box that I placed a number that was given to me by the Directv rep, but I don't think that is correct. I think the number I was given was simply a confirmation number for my order. Do I need to call D* in order to get an Order ID? Could this be the reason why the HR24 is not seeing any signal??

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you hooked your HR24 up to the phase 3 dish, and selected that dish in the Satellite Setup, you should be getting a signal on 101, 110, and 119 satellite. You will not get anything from 99 or 103 sats. If it isnt working, repeat satellite setup, and make sure you do NOT have a BBC hooked to the DVR.

If that doesnt work, just choose 18" round. All you really need to set it up is the 101 satellite.
    Also make sure you select multiswitch and not SWM.

I tried to run mine to see which dish you need to select, but my damn DVR is hooked to a SWM system and refuses to let me in the dish setup menu. Sorry.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The technician may or may not put up a KA/KU for your service call. Really what you need is an ODU Upgrade which pays a lot more than a service call. It's not really fair to the tech but if it is an easy install he may just throw one up.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And to further complicate things, remember if you ever go back to DECA / no ethernet connection, you have to rerun the sat setup to get the 24 to switch back to DECA and ignore the ethernet port.

10. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Your at the begining of setup. The order ID is for installers. Select the correct dish type 18x20, remove any numbers in the order ID field and select continue on the right side. After awhile you should get a screen to call DirecTv. Have the CSR resend authorizations, then the fun starts.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Most installers are going to cancel that service call and tell the customer to call for an upgrade. And in fact, that's what the OP should do BEFORE the installation date.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Where did he say he scheduled a service call? In post 1, he said he scheduled an install.
    Dont HD installs usually include a slimline ODU?

13. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Okay, so I got things working. I don't know which was the issue, but I plugged the phone line into the wall, and I also removed some in-line coax surge protectors that I had on each line. Once I did that, I was able to progress to the activation screen. I called D* and since the receiver had already been activated, all they had to do was resend the info the the receiver.

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Great. Enjoy. Get all practiced up for that dish install. Glad you got it working. If you find any HD on 101, post which channels, as I couldnt find one looking at the list.

15. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Yeah, I read about this somewhere else, and have made a note of it. I ordered the Internet Connection Kit as part of the install, so I'll definitely be needing to remove the ethernet connection.

Well, I'm not sure what and ODU Upgrade is, but the installer is supposed to be bringing out a new dish. I'm not sure what kind. I assume a Slimline; not sure if it will be a SWM or not. Aren't the SWM dishes supposed to be for new customers only? Sorry if I have some of the terminology incorrect.

16. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Will do... As you mentioned, all I see is the 101. During the setup, a grid with 6 blocks was displayed. The only one that had a check in it was the 101-Even (18V). Not sure what the Even means, but the receiver seems happy and I'm getting standard channels and locals. I'll meander through the channels and see if there are any HD channels available. For what it's worth, the CSR said I'll only see SD.

17. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    Even means the even numbered transponders. From 101 you should see both odd and even transponders. It could be that the odds are missing altogether due to some problem or that they're just too low due to poor dish alignment. If you have a Phase III dish and the DVR is setup correctly you should also see signals on 110 and 119. Check the signal levels on 101... if all the odds are low or zero, there's something wrong.

18. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'll check this out this evening. I've been playing around with things for quite a while. I've got to go get some other stuff done this afternoon! :D It could definitely be the dish alignment. The dish hasn't been aligned since 2002. It's out in the yard and goodness only knows how many times it's been bumped over the years. I should be able to look on the other DTivo to check what it's seeing.

The new D* interface is definitely going to take some getting used to. I keep hitting buttons for the Tivo interface out of habit and it's a bit of a pain right now. Just need to retrain the fingers...

I was able to get the networking running pretty easily. The HR24 recognizes my Windows Home Server that hosts my pictures, music, and video. The pictures seem to work alright. The music skips so much that it's just not listenable. Music streams MUCH better through my PlayStation 3, but that's not in the room where I just set up this HR24. I thought it would be nice to be able to stream music to the bedroom as well. I'm not sure what's causing that problem. I'm using a homeplug ethernet adapter in that room so it's the probably the culprit.

19. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'll check this out this evening. I've been playing around with things for quite a while. I've got to go get some other stuff done this afternoon! :D It could definitely be the dish alignment. The dish hasn't been aligned since 2002. It's out in the yard and goodness only knows how many times it's been bumped over the years. I should be able to check on the other DTivo to check what it's seeing.

The new D* interface is definitely going to take some getting used to. I keep hitting buttons for the Tivo interface out of habit and it's a bit of a pain right now. Just need to retrain the fingers...

I was able to get the networking running pretty easily. The HR24 recognizes my Windows Home Server that hosts my pictures, music, and video. The pictures seem to work alright. The music skips so much that it's just not listenable. Music streams MUCH better through my PlayStation 3, but that's not in the room where I just set up this HR24. I thought it would be nice to be able to stream music to the bedroom as well. I'm not sure what's causing that problem, but I'm using a homeplug ethernet adapter in that room, so that's the most likely culprit. If so, the eventual switch over the DECA should solve that problem. Any one know what the equivalent network speed of DECA is? Is it 100Mbps?

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Unfortunantly, the Music Pictures More is broken on the HR24, Deca isnt going to help.
    If your Odd/Even problem was on the screen with the red X's and green check marks, that might be another error in the software. To really check if its working, go to channel
    9501, 9502 9512, 9513 and 9514. If those do not report an error, you are ok.