1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR2x vs TiVo.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnner1999, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1 of 21
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    Does the current standard software (non CE) have a "wishlist" feature like tivo? And or a decent search by actor, title, keyword etc etc also like TiVo?

we have cable now and a HD TiVo but my cable provider is going switched digital video (SDV) but no adapters and well I feel PQ would be better with DirecTV

BUT we love TiVo (and don't want to assume it will ever come to DirecTV) so how much do think my wife and I would adjust to a HR2x box? basically we are TV junkies and use our TiVo's a lot (I know MRV is not yet on the HR2x boxes but do you think it will be "soon" between TWO HR2x units?)

thanks all in advance
    John

2. Mar 5, 2009 #2 of 21
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I believe that Wishlist and Suggestions are both patented TiVo features.

It does have a decent and improving search function, and there are some advanced searching options that you can learn about here.

There will eventually be an HD TiVo, but it will either be late this year or early next year.

3. Mar 5, 2009 #3 of 21
    Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    Don't know exactly what a wishlist is but I do have a series link setup to record cooking themed shows with the word "tofu" in the guide info and I've also setup to record various actors when a movie they are in comes up. Is that like wishlist? I have an R15 and an HR21.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #4 of 21
    dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    your cable company might make the fcc mad.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #5 of 21
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We had tivo's for 7 years. It took us 2 weeks to adapt to the HRXX's and in the last 18 months, we haven't looked back. There's some things that tivo had that the HRXX's don't, but IMO there's many more things the HRXX's have that the tivo's don't.

6. Mar 5, 2009 #6 of 21
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    correct but it has been using SDV since last november maybe longer... with no tuning adapters. are told to use their DVR which is a SA8300HD which if you haven't used one you are lucky! I think the lead designer of the Atari 2600 made the "GUI" -- plus it has no features and often didn't record shows as planned.

7. Mar 5, 2009 #7 of 21
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    hmmm so if you say any movie with William Holden is on will record? (my wife's fav actor) or if I have it search for shows with the keyword "pizza" it will auto record?

thats a wishlist more or less -- how is the UI on the box?

thanks for the info

8. Mar 5, 2009 #8 of 21
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    thanks for the info - so you were able to "live with out tivo" :) how is the overall feel of the HR2x unit...

does it have an auto flash back feature when Fast-forwarding it does a quick back step of sorts - yeah its a "gimick" but we like it.

It would be easier to sell the misses if it two of the HR's could transfer shows between them...

again thanks all

9. Mar 5, 2009 #9 of 21
    Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    Yes this is exactly how it works. The UI will be different then a Tivo but I think it is overall pretty user friendly. The original release for the R15 was terrible(late 05 if i remember) but it has improved leaps and bounds since then. I don't think overall you'd be disappointed.

edit: about the flashback there is a button that slips back 6seconds i use that instead of pressing play to resume during FF.

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it auto-corrects. We have it down to a science (like we did on the tivo's). Tivo had 30 second skip that some people liked, but D* doesn't have that. Instead D* has 30 second slip. The difference is that 30 second skip took you forward 30 seconds instantly. 30 second slip takes you forward 30 seconds, but it's like a super fast forward, where you can see the program/commercial you're slipping past. Some like the 30 second skip better (because it's faster), but I like the 30 second slip faster (cause I get to see what I'm shooting past).

The biggest difference is that the D* DVR's do not have dual live buffers (DLB). You can't be watching 2 live shows and flip back and forth between them, maintaining the buffer on each. It's probably the biggest point of contention among former tivo users and is the number one thing on the D* DVR "wishlist". When on a specific channel, however, the D* DVR's do buffer 90 minutes as opposed to the 30 minute buffer the tivo's had. Also, there's a workaround for the DLB. If you want to watch two live things at once (i.e. two football games), you can start watching one and hit record, switch to the other and hit record. From there on, you can just hit the previous button and it will automatically pause the channel you're on, switch to the other and it'll start playing. With DLB's, you had to hit pause, then down arrow, then play every time you switched back and forth. With D*, once you set them both up to record, it's one button push to switch back and forth. Some don't mind the "workaround" and some hate it.

11. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    Keep in mind is that the DirecTiVo software ran 12-18 months behind the standalone TiVos in functionality.

DirecTV added a number of features to its HR2x software that TiVo had months before, but which didn't make it to the HR10 software until match later, if at all. As one example, consider overlap protection -- the standalone TiVos had that more than six months before the HR2x DVRs, but the DirecTiVos didn't receive it until much later (some may still not have it?).

From AVS:

Wishlist functionality with boolean operators, shown above, was added to standalone TiVos in September, 2007.

Let's hope the next DirecTiVo is released with functionality comparable to the latest TiVo software rather than some old version.

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
  13. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    The HR2x has overlap protection? (Or an equivalent?)

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Do a keyword search on "30skip" and it will switch from the slip to a 30 second skip. A search on "30slip" will return to the slip. At least the HD DVRs do that--I'm not sure if that was added to the SD types.

15. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    I could have sworn as much, but maybe not.

If not, I suppose I mistook terminology used by members on this forum. Overlap protection on a TiVo prevents programs that conflict by five minutes or less from causing conflicts with other programs. When this feature is enabled, TiVo cuts up to five minutes off the lowest priority program when doing so will allow another program to record. As a result, shows that run from 8:00pm to 9:01pm or 9:02pm do not prevent 9:00-10:00pm shows from recording.

This feature was added to the standalone Series2 TiVos back in October, 2005. The standalone HD TiVos got it in 2007. Most DirecTiVos got it in May, 2008.

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Couldn't remember if that was a NR feature or not. I get so confused sometimes.

17. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Here is a pretty large thread on advanced searching on the HR2x's: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971

I have a search that finds all Red Wings games and pre-games but excludes the post game shows in HD only and only on a particular channel range. Can't actually do that on a Tivo wishlist (the channel range anyway).

I'm sure there are some things the Tivo wishlist can do that the HR2x search cannot but it goes the other way as well.

18. jdmaxell

jdmaxell Mentor

Dec 12, 2007
    I have had tivo and HR2xx. The HR2xx series = junk!

19. davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    nothing like comparing 7 year old technology to dtv's current line. Your statement "There's some things that tivo had that the HRXX's don't" shows that the hr-xx series did take a step backwards. I would have never moved off tivo if they carried the mpeg4 hd.

20. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My tivo's weren't 7 year old technology, they received regular updates just like the D* DVR's do. Yes, the tivo had things the current DVR's don't, but that doesn't mean it's a step backward. Like the tivo feature that selected shows it think you liked (forget the name of it right now). That was a feature I never used and would never miss. D* decided not to included it (or maybe it had a patent), but either way it's not a step backward, it's a feature it doesn't have.