1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR2x Wish List, V3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    On behalf of Doug Brott and myself, I'd like to thank everyone for their participation in the first two iterations of the HR20 WISH LIST. As you may know, DirecTV looks at this list, and has actually implemented several items from it!

Version 3 of the WISH LIST survey may be found here: TAKE THE WISH LIST SURVEY

As WISH LIST veterans will note, items in v3 have been regrouped into categories to make things a bit more manageable. I've consolidated similar requests, merged "Missing Promised Features" into their functional categories and eliminated some past items that scored low.

If one of your favorite items is no longer on the list, have no fear... we'll discuss it in this thread. If appropriate, it will find it's way back onto the list, along with any other promising new ideas.

I want to be very cautious about adding new items to the list, to prevent it from growing to overwhelming proportions. When I'm unsure an idea belongs on it, I will solicit your feedback before I decide to add it. NOTE: Before bringing a new idea over to the WISH LIST thread, it's often helpful if you run a separate poll/discussion thread on it first.

The voting options have been changed to more fairly represent suggestions that are desired by a small % of users, but the majority may not care about. An example would be "Ability to remotely control more than two HR20/21's in the same room via IR."

There are now only three voting options for each item:
    • THUMBS UP, or "I would defintely use this feature, if implemented!"
    • NEUTRAL, or "I might use this feature, but I don't mind it being there for others."
    • THUMBS DOWN, or "I hate this idea. It will change the way I use my HR20 in a negative way."

Before you vote a THUMBS DOWN, please be sure the request isn't just for an optional change! If an item gets a high enough % of THUMBS DOWN, it will be removed from the list on the basis that if it's inconvenient to a high-enough % of the user base, it shouldn't be there at all.

You will need to be a registered SizeThis.com user to complete the WISH LIST, v3 survey. Don't worry! Doug Brott, our technical guru, has reworked the registration process to make it quick and painless. If you haven't already registered at SizeThis.com, please do so here.

As in the past, I will try to update the list weekly. You may vote as often as you like, and change your votes at any time. Your old votes will be retained, so during each visit you'll only have to vote on suggestions added since your last "save". These will be identified with a blue "Value" field on the survey page.

Our goal should be to send DirecTV the clearest message possible of what HR20 changes or improvements we'd like to see. To that end, I look forward to hearing your opinions of the WISH LIST, v3, and to a collegial exchange of ideas and ongoing discussion.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you just might find you get what you need." - THE ROLLING STONES

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 1819
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Steve .. Great to have you in charge now.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 1819
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I believe that the 'up to 14 day' GUIDE includes 12-days forward and 2-days backward in time. There are certainly times that I have wished to go back just one show and couldn't do it. This is a feature that would be helpful in some situations.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    And thanks again to you too! For those that may not know it, Doug not only founded the Wish List, but continues to provide the technical expertise that makes it possible.

/steve

PS: For those of you that may require his programming expertise, I can tell you his rates are VERY reasonable! :lol:

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 1819
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Steve,

As you know I've been taking the wish list survey since day one. I think that this version is the best yet! Great work from both you and Doug! I've added a link to my signature so that more people can find this excellent resource.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks, LC! I'm glad you feel we're headed in the right direction. Because Doug created such a flexible survey architecture over at SizeThis.com, we were able to make some helpful tweaks. It's still a "work in progress", so I welcome any and all suggestions for improvement. /s

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 1819
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    can't get to the survey :(

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 1819
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    post 1 line 3..
    and that one does the same... flashes "you must login first, redirecting" and then drops you to the results page...

10. Aug 6, 2007 #10 of 1819
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I don't have my login here at work, so I will check this out when I get home this evening.

thanks Steve

EDIT
    Done!
    I like the thumbs.

11. Aug 6, 2007 #11 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. One of the things we've changed this time around is that a log-in is required. I'll talk to Doug and see if he can redirect folks to the registration page instead of the results page when that happens.

Registration has been reworked to be a "no-brainer", so if you're not already registered over at SizeThis, please do so here: http://www.sizethis.com/forums/register.php

By requiring registration, we can get more accurate results, because your most current votes will only count once, no matter how many times you take the survey or change your votes. Folks who vote often will not skew the results... in the past multiple votes were counted multiple times.

It also means you'll only have to vote on new items in the future, since your prior votes are stored under your UserID.

/steve

12. Aug 6, 2007 #12 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Good idea, IMO. I know I've been frustrated by the inability to go "back in time" myself, having been trained that I could by the "DirecTiVo style" guide.

I think it would have to work with the RED/GREEN buttons tho, or otherwise you would be unable to use the LEFT ARROW to get the left-column general channel INFO.

Another possibility is to leave the GUIDE alone, but when you hit INFO on the channel name, be able to go back 48 hours for that channel.

Just a thought. /s

13. Aug 6, 2007 #13 of 1819
    Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Great job on the new survey Steve, and Doug ... I love what you've done with the place (the survey site). :up:

14. Aug 6, 2007 #14 of 1819
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Wow. This is wonderful. Thank you.

- Craig

15. Aug 7, 2007 #15 of 1819
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration DBSTalk Club

Mar 7, 2007

16. Aug 7, 2007 #16 of 1819
    sgnhaf

sgnhaf Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jul 30, 2007
    why elimanated missing promised features as a category ? and why elimanated low scoring of those ?

if they were promised and missing, we should be able to vote on them and they not be elimanated

17. Aug 7, 2007 #17 of 1819
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Did you vote?

18. Aug 7, 2007 #18 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The MPFs still outstanding are there. They've been merged into the appropriate categories on the list. I wanted to try to keep like requests together. /steve

19. Aug 7, 2007 #19 of 1819
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I assume we hit 'Save & Continue' and then scroll back to top and click 'View Results' to see the results?

20. Aug 7, 2007 #20 of 1819
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Save & Exit will get you to the results page. Save & Continue just there in case you want to take a break. :) /s