1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34+1 C31, diagnostic test error code 79-860

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by upsss, Mar 14, 2013.

1. upsss

upsss Cool Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I have a new (5 day old) Genie+1 client install. On the client the 6/30 sec skip is acting erratically. I ran the diagnostic test on the Genie and on the client and I get on both error code 79-860, "Playback error due to drop connections".

Called tech support, they made me do all the regular resets which I did before anyway and I still get the same error code. They gave me this BS that the error code is "normal". Any suggestions?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It is very likely that this error from the diagnostic test is "in error". I believe it's a software bug that counts "dropped connections" every time you put your C31 in standby.

What kind of problems are you seeing with your C31?

3. upsss

upsss Cool Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Does anyone else get this error code? My main problem is with the 30 sec skip, it skips to the end of the recording at least once on very recording. Is that also "normal"?

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    No, it's not normal and probably a sw bug that will hopefully be addressed soon.

I see that error code as well when I run a system test on my Genie.

5. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    The dropped sessions is a software issue where the HR34 looks at a C31 going into standby as a dropped connection. Don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet but I see it on every install I do including my own home.

I also have experienced times where using the 30skip takes you to the end of a program or the next 15 minute tick mark. I only see this when I hit the 30skip multiple times very quickly. I've learned to just slow down my button presses a bit.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The dropped network connection error message as mentioned is caused by the RVU clients being put in standby. The occasional skipping to the end of a program is a software bug that hopefully they'll get fixed one of these days.

7. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    as mentioned, that is a dropped session error. the c31 and the genie is basically connected through a network. everytime the c31 goes in standby or is turned off the genie counts that as a dropped session. So yes this is normal and they wasnt feeding you BS. The skipping again is also a software issue, it has been brought up before and has been "improved" from what it has been,

8. upsss

upsss Cool Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Errors cannot be reported as "normal". They should have admitted that it is a software bug and it will be fixed. No excuses, the software knows the difference between a client in standby and "dropped connection". As far as the 30 seconds advance problem, I changed it from 30Slip to 30Skip which I like better, is much faster and solved my problem.