1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34&24 upgrade questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gimp, Mar 23, 2012.

1. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    Tuesday they upgraded my HR22&HR10-250 to HR34&24. The installer used a DECA Broadband with power supply (DECABB1R0). It is connected to my gigabit network and the D* splitter in my coax junction box. Since I only have the HR34&24, do I need the DECABB1R0 and power supply? Can I eliminate the DECABB1R0 and plug the HR34 directly into my network?

Both the HR34&24 had the old GUI but the 24 has since upgraded. It's been three days and the HR34 is not upgraded. How long will it take?

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The HDGUI for the HR34 isn't released yet.

3. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    Ok, thanks!

4. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    It's been posted on numerous threads that the HR34 can act as a bridge, so yes you can do that. You would also need to put a terminator on that port on the splitter.

5. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    Please elaborate about the terminator. Is it a short or a specific (75ohm I asssume) load? Where would I find one?

Why didn't D* do that?

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Does it work? You asked an after market question.

(75ohm I assume) load?

Yeah, look on the ground around the splitter.

7. EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1 Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm debating the exact same switch. My wife loves the TiVo and hates the HR-22 for obvious reasons - what is your experience?

I might upgrade the HR-22 to the 34 and the HR-10-250 to the new TiVo.

Keep us posted on the transition!

8. gimp

gimp AllStar

Jul 29, 2006
    No complaints so far. It is very nice to see recordings on both machines. Both are very responsive to gui commands. It will be interesting to see how much they slow down as the discs fill up. I moved my 2TB eSATA from the HR22 to the HR34, so it take a while to fill.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    The DTV DVRs are not TiVos thats for sure. All sorts of glitches bugs whatever you want to call them. Limited series links, poor search capabilities, recording not totally reliable. Some missed shows, many mulitples of the same show. Weird trick play behavior, jumps to end, herky jerky fast forward and rewind. They are HD and they use a single wire. Jury is still out in our moving home. We just recently discussed selling these DTV DVRs and going back to our DTiVo SD units.

I can live with some of the glitches, my lovely wife just cannot understand why such expensive units don't work very well at all. I just tell her that is how they work (or should I say Don't work).

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    At least they have a LIST button. Drives me nuts on my Tivo having to hit Tivo (wait for GUI) Tivo, just to bring up the LIST.