1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34-700 drops sound and black screen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tinfoilhat, Jul 22, 2013.

1. tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    I have software 0x725. Unit new in December 2012. Have had a lot of 1-2 second freezes and jittery screens lately that I just attributed to DTV satellite or solar flare issues - now maybe not. Now a more serious issue pops up. Friday night I put the Genie on the Weather Channel, then pushed the remote's red button to see the local forecast. While viewing the forecast, the sound dropped out on the inbox video of TWC. The sound never came back while on that local forecast so I turned the unit off with the remote. It then took 9 presses of the ON remote button to get the Genie to come back on. When it did, there was no video or sound. Performed a Red button reset which corrected the issue.

While the Genie was rebooting I went upstairs to watch TV on an R22-200 where repeating the Weather channel and local forecast didn't cause the R22 to go haywire and the sound was fine.

Went back downstairs after the Genie rebooted and switched to TWC and then viewed the local forecast. Lo and behold the sound dropped again. Then again, after turning Genie off with the remote it took 9 presses of the ON button to get the Genie back on to again only show a black screen with no sound. A Red button reset again fixed the issue.

Any thoughts, guys?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most "no sound" and "no picture" problems stem from an HDMI problem. This could be the cable, the socket it is plugged into on either end.
    I would try changing the cable to another Input on the TV first. If that does not cure it, I would then switch out the cable to see if that fixes it.
    Resetting the receiver is forcing the receiver and the TV to go thru a fresh HDMI handshake and reconnecting for a short time.

I have no suggestions about the unit taking 9 presses of the remote to turn it back on.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    There is a known problem with the Weather Channel causing this, something to do with the interactive content. Just to confirm, this only happens with TWC, correct?

4. wxguy

wxguy AllStar

Feb 17, 2008
    central...
    I've got an HR22-100 that does the same thing with the weather channel. Today i tuned the weather channel and waited for the 15 second takeover that it goes through before you can do anything else. Then it beeped and displayed that there is a watch in my county.

I changed back to the previous channel and NO SOUND. Went back to the weather channel and it had no sound. Left it on there cause I couldn't change channels while it loaded its red button data, then it beeped and the audio came on. Switched channels and no sound still.

No audio on HDMI hookup or component source. Decided it was the Directv box that was locked up. Did a system reset and waited for the load to work. and the sound was there. Definitely not an HDMI handshake problem cause it didn't work on analog source either.

Solution for me is to block the weather channel on my lineup. Kind of a waste anyhow for me since the internet or smart phone tells me whatever I need to know without having to put up with all their non-weather junk.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you tried the Component hookup, did you also have the HDMI plugged into the TV ?
    The HDMI should not be hooked up when using the Component cables.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As long as the HDMI is connected to the same TV as the component cables, there should be no difference if one or both are connected.

7. wxguy

wxguy AllStar

Feb 17, 2008
    central...
    Dunno. When I've lost handshake before, i just switched to component to watch the show til I reach a point to reset.
    The weather channel also screwed up audio on my H21 upstairs so I just deselected them on all my channel lineups. Problem solved.

8. tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes, this only happened with TWC. I was suspicious that TWC might have been the issue, but was then concerned that it was my HR34 when my R22 didn't produce the problem. Has it been a known issue for very long or only associated with the HR34 or with certain software updates?