1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34/700 issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by socceteer, Sep 28, 2013.

1. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I have moved form Dish to DirecTV and Genie HR34/700

I am fairly happy with it, however I have several issues with the performance, as an example:

1) It hangs sometimes when switching from one input to another PIP

2) The room units response time is very bad

3) The room units go into a blank screen when turned on for about 30 seconds

4) When I switch inputs on my TV from any other input such as DVD back to the HDMI 1 assigned to Genie, the screen turns pink and the only way I can get back to normal is by turning off Genie and back on, or by switching channels to 3D and back

A few other issues I can't remember

Are other people experiencing the same problems..?

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    My 34 is slow compared to my 44. Remote response time is bad! I see the pink screen when rebooting, but not on input switching.

What do you mean by "the room units go into a blank screen when turned on for about 30 seconds"?

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR34-700 and have not experienced any of your issues. Is your Genie connected to a AVR?

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on! My HR34 works flawlessly

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would not say slow but rather the 44 is "slightly" faster

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Can you explain this. perhaps you mean channels

7. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    In my house, the HR44 is WAY faster. Measurably.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here we go again....

1 person likes this.
  9. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Performance between models has " local " factors more often than specific hardware factors.
    The 44/34 debate is moot and exaggerated for the most part. Oddly enough it's usually which remote you have... The RC71 seems to massage the 44 way better than an 65/66 and the 71 doesn't seem to like the 34... Difference in technology between the remotes, but that's just my experience...

To the OP..

Turn off the Power Saving mode on your Clients and the HR34... That should help with the black/gray screen when turning them off and on... The pink screen is an HDMI Handshake issue.... A communication problem... Could be the TV... The HDMI.... Or the Genie... No way to tell for sure... Typically the HDMI's don't go bad in so much as HDMI technology theory is a... All or nothing... Kind of proposition for the most part, your more likely to have audio issues and not video issues. Video issues would just be a case of the sparkles... Make sure the Native setting is turned off on the receiver..

Go into the menu... Settings... Video... And you should find the Native setting... Make sure it is off...

Aside from those suggestions and info, tough to trouble shoot a couple of those without being on site.

10. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Nice picture Peds.

Be curious as to how you (mom) ended up with two Genies on the same system... And why for that matter...

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I'm sorry, I can't discuss that.

12. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Then you should stop advertising it.

13. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Can you explain this. perhaps you mean channels

What I mean is that when I switch between the down arrow to go between inputs like PIP or just go from one tuner to another

14. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    My 34 is slow compared to my 44. Remote response time is bad! I see the pink screen when rebooting, but not on input switching.

What do you mean by "the room units go into a blank screen when turned on for about 30 seconds"?

It takes a long time to get video and audio

15. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Performance between models has " local " factors more often than specific hardware factors.
    The 44/34 debate is moot and exaggerated for the most part. Oddly enough it's usually which remote you have... The RC71 seems to massage the 44 way better than an 65/66 and the 71 doesn't seem to like the 34... Difference in technology between the remotes, but that's just my experience...

To the OP..

Turn off the Power Saving mode on your Clients and the HR34... That should help with the black/gray screen when turning them off and on... The pink screen is an HDMI Handshake issue.... A communication problem... Could be the TV... The HDMI.... Or the Genie... No way to tell for sure... Typically the HDMI's don't go bad in so much as HDMI technology theory is a... All or nothing... Kind of proposition for the most part, your more likely to have audio issues and not video issues. Video issues would just be a case of the sparkles... Make sure the Native setting is turned off on the receiver..

Go into the menu... Settings... Video... And you should find the Native setting... Make sure it is off...

Aside from those suggestions and info, tough to trouble shoot a couple of those without being on site.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them today

16. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Is there a reason you are so rude? I am not "advertising" anything. I share my experiences the same as others. I have been a paying member here for over 6 years and have never insulted nor been rude to anyone. I don't appreciate your response.

Then you should stop advertising it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

17. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Wasn't rude. Just matter of fact.

I could also say the same of your response. I just asked a question and got a holier than thou, " I got a secret " and am better than you response.

I know you didn't mean it that way but it's just words on a screen. Nothing personal.

Edit:

Sorry... Didn't add that initially as I didn't really feel the situation warranted it.. But if your truly offended then I apologize.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, this is not a discussion about individual users. Please be more polite.