1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 and External eSATA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ebaylus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. ebaylus

ebaylus New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    NH
    Hello,
    I've been reading alot of the posts, and I'm a bit confused.... I see some contradictory info, and want to check. If I want to add an external HD to my HR34, I LOOSE ACCESS to the recorded shows on the internal HD ?? Is this correct? So, I would have to reboot the DVR to watch a show on the internal HD?? a 10-15 min process...

tell me it ain't so!!!!

gene

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You "lose" access to the recordings on the internal drive while booted to the external. Its not add-on storage like the DISH method, it replaces the internal HDD.

3. ebaylus

ebaylus New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    NH
    can I copy the shows onto the external, so I can watch previously recorded shows, as well as new shows?? It requires a reboot when switching?? I've got over 100 hrs of Bonanza, what is watched daily, but I need to watch the newely recorded showes as well.... do I need to / can I - get a bigger internal HD ??

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You can use either the internal or the external but not both at the same time. If you OWN the HR34, not lease, then you can get a bigger internal drive but you still can only use either 1 or the other, not both at the same time.

5. ebaylus

ebaylus New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    NH
    OK, so the DVR cannot copy shows to the external HD. My idea was to clear off some room and have the showes available when I needed them. The reboot time needed kills the deal. This should be a "plug in the external HD, and have more space" deal...

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You are probably 123,527th person who wrote this on the site :D

7. ebaylus

ebaylus New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    NH
    :p , but tell me I'm / we're wrong!

:)

Thanks for clearing that up, guys!

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You could buy whatever seasons you need/want for about $30-$45 per season.

9. ebaylus

ebaylus New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    NH
    but that's not really the point. And if I already paid to have them (DTv), then why should I have to 'buy' them again.......

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    because providers want to convert whole system to cinema model: for each particular viewing you must pay for a ticket !

11. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Gee, maybe 123,528 will make them see the light. Nah!

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because the shows on your DVR are "rented" you don't own them. If you really want to keep them for the long haul, you really have to buy them.