1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 and Standard Definition

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cinman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. cinman

cinman New Member

Aug 25, 2012
    I am a brand new member who has found amazing insight on DBStalk!! I've done a lot of reading and decided to switch from Dish to the HR34 from Direct TV. I have two HD sets and one SD set. My question is how to make sure the SD set has the ability to play the shows from the HR34. I appears that this only works with HD receivers. Do I just order a HD receiver for my SD set, or will that even work?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Since the cost is the same, the best idea would be to order an HD receiver for your SD tv. It will allow you to watch the HD only channels on that set, which a sd receiver would not be able to receive.

HD receivers will work fine with SD tv's, although if your tv does not have video/audio inputs (rf antenna connection only) you would need a modulator (radio shack) or an old VCR set to video input to be able to get the picture out on channel 3/4 to the TV, as the HD boxes do not have coax out to the TV.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1. It'll work fine. I have two 13" CRTs connected composite to two H25s, and they play back HR34 HD recordings without a problem.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome to DBSTalk!

At the same time, HD sets are really cheap now, unless you need a large screen. I just bought a tiny (24") 3D monitor made by Sony and love it. $199.- Made for their Playstation setups, but it's just fine for my purposes.

5. cinman

cinman New Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks to all for the quick responses..very helpful :)