1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 - Any Instructions for Using PIP?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gator5000e, Oct 11, 2012.

1. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Can't find anything on how to use it other than to turn it on from the information bar. I did a search but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Using the info bar is currently the only way.

3. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/hr34-spec-sheet.pdf This shows how to change active screens and thus the 2 channels. Overall it's pretty basic. It would be nice if there was some remote based control on position and stuff. Thanks though.

4. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    mine installer told me don't use the PIP it will do damages to the TV in long run

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Your installer had pot brownies for lunch then...

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I've not seen the split screen for PIP on the HR34, but perhaps he is thinking that there is some sort of high contrast border between "pictures" that will potentially result in image retention at the borders?

Otherwise the claim makes no sense at all. Unless there is some sort of fixed image on the screen (like a border) for long periods of time, there is no obvious potential for damage...and even then the only displays that are vulnerable to the problem are older phosphor screens and plasmas in general (although many claim it isn't true for modern plasmas either, but I'm not convinced).

I'd sure like to hear the basis for the PIP damage claim.

7. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I've used PIP thru my TV and a second tuner for years with no issue. Have left it on for hours on my Plasma. I was hoping the HR34 PIP would have some of the same features while giving me the ability to lose a box as the PIP source. I may not be able to do that given the lack of PIP features and the requirement of having to use the info bar to move the screen. Hopefully, they improve on this in the future.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    See Runners' post....:hurah:

Under a very narrow set of circumstances, it could cause a bit of of a problem.
    My plasma has a setting that'll move the picture by a few pixels every so often.