1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hr34-buyer beware

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sammib, Oct 15, 2012.

1. sammib

sammib AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Had my HR34 for three weeks now. Have had to do about 10 RBRs, in that time. The thing locks up, freezes, crashes, or whatever you want to call it. Only RBRs fix it. Also am having trouble with PPV which seems to be related to HDMI handshake with my Denon receiver. I'm not tech savvy as are many people on this site. I don't have MRV or eSATA or RVU client. I don't even have a clue what that stuff is. The wife has an HR20/700 and our boxes are not otherwise connected. My old HR20 was poopin out so I opted for the HR34. If I had to do it again I would hold off at least another 6-12 months. To me, the hassle is NOT worth it.

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I got mine about a month ago and I'm not having a single issue.

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    From all that you described, I suggest you have a truck roll out for a service call as this is not the norm for an HR34. It sounds like you might have a line problem to that receiver location or even possibly a defective receiver itself---however I opt for the first as the culprit expecially if you had the "poopin out HR20" in the same location as the new HR34....

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Did you consider your box might be faulty? You can have it replaced. Your results aren't normal.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While I wouldn't call them "a piece of cake", I also wouldn't expect mine to be that much trouble either.

If you think you may have a HDMI issue, have you tried using component?

Not to be the "fix all", but maybe it gets you by until a HDMI fix comes out.

If nothing changes with component, then it isn't an HDMI problem, and something else.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's a better than 90% chance that you now have Whole Home DVR Service (MRV) and that you're wife's box can see the HR34 and vice versa. Installers are usually pretty motivated to connect the whole system to the Internet if possible as well.

That the installer didn't communicate the extent of what they did is unfortunate.

7. kevintheoman

kevintheoman Cool Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Had my HR34 for over 6 months. I've pressed the red button only once.

Either your unit is faulty or the installer did something wrong. In either case, you need to call directv tech support.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Run Menu/Settings & Help/Settings/Info & Test/Run System Test

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Press and hold the info button it's easier.

10. sammib

sammib AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Ran the test and got only one fail. Diag code 72-689. No phone dial tone detected.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I really think this is an HDMI issue. Try connecting the HR34 straight to the TV... just temporarily for a few days. See if your issues are gone.