1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34-Can It Do OTA and Other Stuff?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jangell2, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    Sometime in the near future I hope to have a 3D TV, so I'm looking at a new receiver. We currently have two HR20 and use the OTA capability infrequently due to rain fade, but frequently enough that I'd like to keep that ability. Does the HR34 support OTA?

UPDATE: I see in another thread I need an AM21 to record OTA. I wonder if they'll throw that into the deal when I make it?

I also have an external 1 TB HD on one of our receivers and I presume that a new receiver wouldn't accept it. If anyone knows of a way to get my stored programs copied over to the new receiver, please let me know. I should point out that I have an iMac.

Other than the initial charges for the unit, are there any one-time or monthly fees that go with this receiver? I doubt we'll use the whole-house option but I would like to hook it up to my wifi.

Is the HR34 the only one with more than 2 tuners? Those additional tuners, do they have any limitations? Like maybe only one tuner does 3D? There have been times when I wanted more than 2 tuners.

Does the HR34 support ESATA?

Are there special requirements to install this receiver? Different dish or cabling?

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The external drive will work, but the recordings won't be watchable, they are tied to the DVR that recorded them. As such it wouldn't be of much use since the HR34 already has a 1TB drive in it. If you can upgrade to a 2TB drive then it might be worth using with the HR34.

I don't believe the HR34 costs any more than the other DVRs on a month to month basis, just the upfront cost.

Yes the HR34 is the only one at this time with more than 2 tuners. Some people think that eventually they might come out with an 8 tuner DVR but we don't have any solid leads on that yet. There are no limitations on any of the tuners, they all can do 3D, 1080p, etc.

Yes it supports eSata.

It requires a SWM install, so if you don't have a Slimline dish, or you don't have a SWM install then you will have to change over to SWM.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, the HR34 supports OTA using the AM21 Off Air Tuner Accessory.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I doubt they'll throw in an AM21.

5. jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    Thank all for the info. I confess I don't know what SWM is and whether I already have it. I suppose DTV could tell me when I pull the trigger on the receiver. The thing that holds me back is losing the data on my esata drive. I don't mind nit using it, just losing my recorded programs. I wish there was a way to copy the recorded shows to the new receiver.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press the dash button on the lower left hand corner of your remote. If you have SWM it will say SWM detected.
    If not, it will give the receiver ID number and whether you are connected to the internet or not.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    They did for me without asking.