1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34, Denon 789, and Vizio HDMI issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rflor, Aug 21, 2013.

1. rflor

rflor Cool Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Earlier this month I upgraded from an HR24 to an HR34 setup (got a killer NFLST renewal to go with it).

In my living room, I have the HR34 connected via HDMI to a Denon 789 which connects via HDMI to a Vizio 55" TV. For 2 years, I had no issues with an HR24 and this setup.

With the HR34, any time I switch from a 1080i to 720p station (or vice versa), the HDMI connection loses sync and requires me to power cycle the TV. It is extremely annoying and will likely induce eye-bleeding rage once I get to football season and NFLST.

I haven't tried to fix the resolution to 1080i to see if that resolves the issue...but I shouldn't have to.

Anyone have or are aware of a similar issue?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Try this: connect HDMI directly to TV, use link back to AVR for audio.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yet another Denon HDMI handshake issue....

The Hr34 probably uses a different HDMI chip from the Hr24, plus it enforces the HDCP copy protection protocol on all channels. You need to start by setting the HR34 to "native off" and checkmark just 1080i/1080p. It will almost certainly make no difference whether the upscaling is done by the HR34 or the Denon.

If that does not work, you need to connect the HR34 directly to the TV using HDMI. Then connect the HR34 with digital/optical audio to the Denon.
    If you connect the TV optical out back to the Denon (which I think is what laxguy is suggesting) you almost certainly won't get Dolby Digital. If he is suggesting using the ARC (Audio return Channel) function, then you need both the Tv and Denon to support ARC and only newer equipment will have this capability.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and even if the TV has ARC, is only used for the OTA tuner, not the HDMI inputs

5. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    True, I had forgotten that....

6. rflor

rflor Cool Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Fixing the resolution to 1080i solved the problem. I gather from the reply that Denon HDMI handshakes are a fairly notorious topic around here?

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup. numerous

8. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, if anyone has an HDMI issue the first thing I look for is mention of Denon (or Marantz, made by the same company).

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I keep hearing about these issues but have never experienced it with 3 different Denon HDMI equipped AVR's, and 3 different HDTV's....so I call shenanigans.... :rotfl: