1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 - Existing / Current Customers ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jeremymc7, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 50
    jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Mentor

Apr 27, 2009
    Want to get an HR34 to replace a stock of older HR's and manage the recordings from one DVR.

1. Does anyone have an update of when the HR34 will be available to existing / current customers. Last update was early 2012. Well this is technically early 2012 now so what's the thought?

2. Any idea of the existing / current customer price? Retail stores are pricing at $399. New customers are priced at $99.

3. Any thoughts regarding buying from retail for $399 versus waiting for DirecTv to make available directly to existing / current customers?

Thanks all.

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 50
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We've been told February. I took the last option, was able to get it activated last night.

3. Jan 4, 2012 #3 of 50
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    No official word other than what has already been said. (Early 2012)
    As far as pricing, Remember all prices listed for all directv equipment is a "Leased" price. The $399 is a leased price for a HR34 and if you pay the same say through solid signal it is still the lease upgrade and not a purchase of the HDDVR. I would say keep calling Directv and see if there is any updates on availability of the HR34. They will be able to give you the best lease upgrade price than a retail store but a retail store may already have it in stock which you could pay the lease upgrade there and then work with directv on getting credits for the price you paid the retailer.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 50
    Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I bought one retail but not leased. Owned so I can expand the internal hard drive or do whatever else I want with the box. Trying out the DTV boxes and if I don't like it I will fall back on my old SD DirecTiVos. With owned boxes I can just sell them to someone who wants them owned.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 50
    chem

chem Cool Member

Jan 3, 2012
    edit

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 50
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    how did you get an owned receiver from a retailer?

7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 50
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    And...From who and how much?

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 50
    johnnytex

johnnytex Legend DBSTalk Club

Jul 20, 2007
    Did you get any credits from DirecTV?

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 50
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I can feel a rude awakening coming.

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    I kinda had the same feeling.

11. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Mentor

Apr 27, 2009
    I spent some time on the phone today with DirecTV and the answer I got was that for existing / current customers "maybe" March. That's starting to get outside of "early 2012" but i'm sure they're also giving themselves a buffer in case Feb slips.

I might just grab one from a retailer at that point.

12. shaddow22

shaddow22 New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I've been dealing with case management over the last week trying to get my HR34 (purchased from VE) installed. Originally they said it couldn't be done. I called back later to upgrade to a WWDVR & SWM and asked again and this CSR had no problem scheduling it. Everything eventually got installed correctly on Monday, though I had to do some educating of the tech to get the system setup correctly. The only issue was that DirecTV couldn't add RVU to my account for the Samsung TV. They told the tech that a ticket was made and it was "elevated up the chain". I talked to the CSR from my original case management ticket and he said that it couldn't be activated until Feb 9, when existing customers will be able to purchase HR34's and add RVU. So, that must be the date. As mentioned elsewhere, they'll still need to do a truck roll to "activate RVU" even though the only thing that needs to be done is activate it on their computer and pair the HR34/Samsung (which I can do right now). He also checked into rebates and wasn't sure if the $300 rebate would be available to existing customers.

13. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    PM for dealer info and price if you want. They will set you up.

14. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Mentor

Apr 27, 2009
    I went ahead and ordered one from retail shop for full MSRP of $399. It's unlikely DirecTV will sell for less come Feb (or Mar) since my contract isn't up. Besides when it is up I'll want to swap out all of my HR2x and H2x units for the new RVU boxes whenever DirecTv ships them.

I've already got a SWIM set-up, as well and Whole Home Media and all the other bells and whistles. I should hopefully I should be able to just add the HR34 in the system and disable the extra tuners on the HR units as I'm adding the HR34 as a 4th receiver. Then hopefully DirecTV shouldn't give me any issues activating it as an existing customer.

Fingers Crossed.

15. shaddow22

shaddow22 New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I believe quite a few people got them activated with a normal CSR (perhaps even online?). The case management CSR I talked with said DirecTV is aware that existing subs are doing that, but there wasn't much they could do to stop it.

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You never answered any of the questions Jerry.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What do you mean by "disable the extra tuners on the HR units"?
    From the 2 DVRs and receiver you're showing in your signature line plus the HR34, I count 10 tuners. Do you have a SWiM16 right now or do you plan on deactivating (and returning) at least one of your HR units?

18. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Mentor

Apr 27, 2009
    I've got 5 tuners running now over two HR and one H. The plan was to disable one tuner on each of the existing HR and then insert the HR34 giving 8 tuners.

The thought was that I had a SWiM 8 and would be fine. Now you have me wondering if I have a SWiM 5 installed or now.

Can I tell from the TV without getting on the second story roof. Set up states Dish Type 17-Slimline-S3 (SWM) and switch type 01-SWM.

19. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Feb 9 to existing I hear.

I have one and let me say this. The software is poor quality right now. I'd recommend just waiting until Feb instead of taking extraordinary measures to get one earlier. You'd kinda be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I was able to activate mine with no problems, although the normal people at D* couldn't do it, but they simply forwarded me to the right people who could, no issues.

20. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Forgive me if I cannot find your questions. Just a statement not based on you having an owned and activated HR34.

No rude awakening here.

Just the same thing I have always done with decoder and recorder boxes. Own them.