1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 first run = tons of reruns too

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slickshoes, Dec 18, 2011.

1. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Just had the 34 installed last Tues, tons of problems so far,they are coming back Friday for the mrv problem which skips and pauses every 3 seconds and is unwatchable, but one thing that is really getting to me is that I have set series recordings for a bunch of stuff now,first run and practically every one of them are recording reruns as well, so annoying! Any thing I need to look for!? Thank you!

2. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The HR2x series DVrs will record the episode used to set up the series link, even if it doesn't meet the "first run" criteria. Since you are setting the series links up new, this may be what you are seeing.

If they are recording reruns after the set up episode, then that is a bug or bad guide data.

3. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    So the only remedy is to wait for the channel to stop airing that episode I used to set up there series recording?

4. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    No

The way it works on a new Series Record is this.

Say your show has a new episode each Friday at 9pm. And it is showing a rerun on Monday at 7pm. You use this to set up a Series Record. The DVR will record this program on Monday at 7pm and any other rerun that it has not recorded between Monday 7pm and Friday 9pm. After Friday 9pm it will then not record any more reruns.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If it works like the HR2x series, it should never record a rerun other than the episode used to set up the series link. And it should not record that episode more than once. If it is recording more than that one rerun episode, either the guide data is bad for that series, or there is a bug.

You can go into the To Do list and delete episodes before they air, but you obviously don't want to have to do that on a regular basis.

6. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Yeah, I've been doing that constantly, I'll try setting there series only there actual night and time it airs, although I believe I've done this already and it's still doing it...

7. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Then it is likely that the guide data is not good for that series. Several series have been notorious about not only having the first run/repeat information not correct, but also not having specific episode information in the guide data. This causes not only reruns to record, but repeats of episodes. (The DVR should not record an episode more than once in 28 days.)

Some people have come up with different strategies to get around this bad guide data. 1) If it is on a local channel, some people have had some success asking their local station to improve th guide data. Since the station has a vested interest in having you watch their shows. 2) Some people set a recurring manual recording by date/time and channel. This may help if it is recording multiple episodes per day. 3) Others have set up Boolean autorecords to record only episodes that don't have a "generic" description.

It's a lot of trouble, but sometimes the only choice when the guide data isn,t good.

8. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Well it's multiple shows, stuff for myself as well as my wife...not just one series...

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Does it happen to be something like Colbert Report or Daily Show? Those are notorious, but there is a workaround. Or more generically, do the reruns you don't want have a general description, or specific to the episode?

10. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    I've seen it's so far on get out (hdnet), beavis and butthead (mtv), Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Atlanta (Bravo). Finny thing is, all there reruns that record have full descriptions, and shows when it first aired by date.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The HR34 has a tendancy to record shows it's not supposed to.

Just in the last 24 hours mine has recorded Dexter, Homeland, and The Closer. All of which were episodes it also recorded earlier in the week and I watched and deleted.

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Oops. So it does sound like there is a bug.

I imagine that DIRECTV would like some details of what series links and what episodes are recording in error. There is an issues thread for the HR34 national release that would be a good to document these problems.

13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There is a bug in the HR34 software where it will often record the next episodes of Series after a reboot, even if they were previously recorded.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Been documented thousands of times.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just to clarify for people, first aired date has nothing to do with if its considered a first run or a rerun episode. Thats in the guide data that we can't see on screen anywhere.

However, it appears your real issue is a bug at this time.

16. stephenC

stephenC Legend

Jul 18, 2007
    Earth
    I have OCD so my suggestion is only for those with this trait.

The Daily Show is one of the series I record that has bad guide data. I have the series pass set for First Run, but the show is set to record all the repeats due the bad data from the Comedy Channel. At least, I blame the CC for this issue. So, what I do is I review the To Do List every few days and I cancel the repeat episodes scheduled to record. Hardly the automation we like with a DVR, but it does cut down on repeat episode recordings.

17. hammer32

hammer32 Cool Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I remember complaining about this exact issue CC shows back on the DirecTV TiVo forums back in 2003. It would Venice if they got around to fixing it.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Daily show nnot slant Cchan 249 fixes that. Colbert nnot discuss cchan 249 fixes Colbert report.