1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Genie locking up on guide/list

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Pepe Sylvia, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    Once a week (on average) I need to red button reset the Genie to get it working again. What happens is when I press guide or list, the program still plays in the corner, but the guide/list doesn't populate. The box then will be unresponsive to the remote and it's recorded programs don't show up on the other DVR (whole-home).

Is there a known software issue that could be causing this?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you give us some more details? What all is in your system and how is it hooked up? Do playback or recordings ever have issues!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. sim

sim Cool Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I'm having the same issue. It's while watching regular tv. Happens at least once a week. I can list recorded programs but I can't navigate them. Same with the guide and I am just finding out now that I can hit Menu but I can't navigate that either. It needs a reset to start working again. I am calling after the holiday to see if I can get this piece of crap replaced, The "genie" may be cool for some things but it's a functional piece of garbage. I'll take another HR24 over this any day.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well there is simply something wrong with your system, thats not normal behavior for a genie. Id call to and see about getting a new one.

5. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    We had a similar problem that happened for the first time this weekend, and it's happened twice so far. The guide will populate, but no other buttons work. Same if you load your playlist. We've had this machine since December, and this is the first time this has happened.

Sandra

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep, the locking and freezing is apparently related the latest update 0x0740 on the HR34s;

Mine is not experiencing it yet, though I notice the guide loads slower now and I only got the update about a week ago so it could be on the horizon for me as well.