1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 Getting Really Sluggish lately

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by islesfan, Jul 20, 2014.

1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I've had an HR34 for a year now. In the past month or two, it has gotten very sluggish in responding to the remote. I hit 30 sec skip, then again, then it stops responding. It just keeps playing. After 20-30 seconds, the progress bar pops up and I get control back. I can be scrolling in the guide, the I get stuck for another 20-30 seconds.

I've cleared the NVRAM several times, rebooted, even changed the remote batteries. It still happens.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this to see if it works for you. Several have reported back that it helped with their problem a lot.
    Menu, Search & Browse, type in CLEARMYBOX , choose Keyword and let it do it's thing.
    This is similar to doing a reset and as soon as programming comes to the screen doing reset again. It seems to be doing more than that but we do not have any concrete evidence of just how it is working.

This will NOT delete your favorites, series links, recordings, etc.

It takes about a minute longer than doing a reset. Then give it 48 hours for all the Guide data and graphics to come back onto the receiver.

1 person likes this.
  3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's a widely reported problem with the latest software release. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Agreed

5. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Thanks, that solved my HR34 problem! Unfortunately, my GenieGo now shows "no recorded programs," but hopefully that will resolve itself soon.

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    ....And then it would get sluggish again, as resets or reboots whatever you want to call it, Only work temporarly
    Me personally I would try to get the HR44 and return the HR34,

it's no different than older DVR's when it comes to "temporary fixes".

7. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Unfortunately, you don't get to choose your DVRs, so I can't return the HR34 and seek an HR44, as I am just as likely to simply get another HR34 in return.

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If DirecTV® drop ships replacement, then you are most likely to get an HR34, if DirecTV® installers delivers you are most likely to get and HR44