1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 goes blank - then goes nuts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I wish I had a better description but I am bumfuzzled by this. NR/0x744

Was watching Live programming on HR34 at 1:44AM ET (16 minutes prior to clock reset an hour) and the screen/audio goes blank.

Hit volume on TV.....screen display - its not the TV gone out.

Hit D* Remote, Channel Up, Channel Down, Setup, Menu....nothing.

Wait a few minutes, still nothing.

Reset by using the red button @ access card.

Normal looking reboot.

Comes back up with live TV. However, when I go to recorded programs, it says no recorded programs and 100% free.

I go to menu - but instead of all the options, all I get are My Directv and Startup Menu - none of the normal menu items like Search & Browse, Recordings, Extras and Setting/Help. I've seen this happen when there is an issue with the Dish connection. But I am getting live TV.

Go to Startup Menu / Whole Home. It does not see the networked units.

Go to Signal Strength. It cannot get a signal on any Satellite on any Tuner - Even 101 Transponder #1, yet I am watching live TV.

Reboot again - this time pulling the plug and leaving it out 60 seconds.

Reboot normal.

Same issues.

System Test shows no issues.

Then after about 10 minutes I get a signal on the signal meter. No normal menu or anything else - and no programs.

About 5 minutes later I get a normal menu.....and of course the programs all come back.

I have seen this once before where the programs disappear for a few minutes, so that didn't freak me out.....but I am wondering wtf happened.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have seen that as well. It seems it is busy doing other things for a while when it reboots sometimes and doesn't bother building the info for the client part of the genie.