1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 goes blank - then goes nuts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I wish I had a better description but I am bumfuzzled by this. NR/0x744

Was watching Live programming on HR34 at 1:44AM ET (16 minutes prior to clock reset an hour) and the screen/audio goes blank.

Hit volume on TV.....screen display - its not the TV gone out.

Hit D* Remote, Channel Up, Channel Down, Setup, Menu....nothing.

Wait a few minutes, still nothing.

Reset by using the red button @ access card.

Normal looking reboot.

Comes back up with live TV. However, when I go to recorded programs, it says no recorded programs and 100% free.

I go to menu - but instead of all the options, all I get are My Directv and Startup Menu - none of the normal menu items like Search & Browse, Recordings, Extras and Setting/Help. I've seen this happen when there is an issue with the Dish connection. But I am getting live TV.

Go to Startup Menu / Whole Home. It does not see the networked units.

Go to Signal Strength. It cannot get a signal on any Satellite on any Tuner - Even 101 Transponder #1, yet I am watching live TV.

Reboot again - this time pulling the plug and leaving it out 60 seconds.

Reboot normal.

Same issues.

System Test shows no issues.

Then after about 10 minutes I get a signal on the signal meter. No normal menu or anything else - and no programs.

About 5 minutes later I get a normal menu.....and of course the programs all come back.

I have seen this once before where the programs disappear for a few minutes, so that didn't freak me out.....but I am wondering wtf happened.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I have seen that as well. It seems it is busy doing other things for a while when it reboots sometimes and doesn't bother building the info for the client part of the genie.