1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR34 (HMC) = Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by smitbret, Oct 10, 2012.

1. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    Just going over some materials and apparently the HR34 is going to be renamed "Genie" for the general public. I previously thought it was just a feature of the HR34, but no, the device itself will now be referred to as Genie.

Is there a worse name. Hopper and Joey has friendly connotation. Genie sounds like.... someone was desparate for a name that was easy to remember and wasn't creative enough to come up with something better. Last I checked the HR34 didn't grant wishes.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, no, but it's also associated with opening garage doors....:D

Fortunately, whatever the name, it'll work the same. (both + and -)

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm confused by it because unlike Dish's "Hopper" and "Joey" for two distinct units, "Genie" is only a single term which appeared after the C31 was officially released.

Therefore does "Genie" refer to just the HR34, or to the combo system of the HR34 when paired with one or more C31s?

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    HR34 = Genie
    C31 = Genie Client
    Feature = Genie Recommends

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, thanks;

That clears it up :)

Irrespective as to whether the name "Genie" was a good choice or not of course ... :sure:

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh well ...

OTOH, just saw this released in a 10/9/12 Genie FAQ DIRECTV Tech Tip;

What is Genie?

Sign ... confusion over the true meaning of "Genie" reigns again ... :rolleyes:

Thanks anyhow though spartanstew

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    How does this confuse you? Spartanstew was right. The HR34 is "Genie", the C31 is a "Genie Client" and the feature is called "Genie Recommends".

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Because the ATS team in Denver, CO. just stated in a latest Tech Tip that "Genie" is a trademark name for the whole system, HR34 and RVU clients combined as I quoted above.

Not just the HR34.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's like when they started saying "Connected Home." What is connected home? Is it whole-home dvr? Yes. on-demand? yes. iPhone app? yes.

It's all of the above, and it's also the signal that travels over the cable that allows all of it to work.

I'm not going to speak for DIRECTV but I don't see any need to be confused. The whole system is called Genie, which is better than saying "The Hopper-Joey System". Genie includes the Genie HD DVR with Genie Recommends and the Genie Client.

It's like saying the iPhone has iOS, iPhoto and iMovie. All those i's don't confuse you, they help you feel like everything is going to work together.

10. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Agree with Stuart. There's the Genie DVR or just Genie, because without it you can't have a Genie environment. Then there's the Genie Client (C31), and there's a feature on the Genie DVR, that's accessible from the Genie clients as well, that is called Genie Recommends.

It also all plays nice with H2x and HR2x systems.

Great stuff.

It's nice to see the beast DVR have a cool name.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The "system" is based on the HR34, aka "Genie". In order to use the "system" an any room other than where the "system" is you must have a client. The client is the C31, aka "Genie Client". And the "recommendation" feature is called "Genie Recommends". It's clearly labled in the UI.

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    So how do I get it to open the garage door?

13. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Do we all get three wishes?

14. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    DirecTV wants the HR34 to be referred to as "Genie". "HR34" will be reserved for technical documentation and discussion.

HR34 = Genie
    C31 = Genie Client
    Feature = Genie Recommends

This is the correct naming.

Sometimes I wish someone from Dish would get involved in things like this. DirecTV always seems to find a way to make things confusing.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But shouldn't it be said then that "Genie" is really a system term, comprising a "Genie HMC Server?" (the HR34 as the main part), "Genie Client(s)," and the optional "Genie Recommends" feature located on the "Genie Server?" ;)

Anyhow, OK I get the point;

Its all about semantics where it appears that Genie specifically refers to the HR34 HMC, but loosely as an umbrella term for the whole system I guess.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    ??

The naming schema couldn't be much clearer.

[I like it, too, though that and two bucks will get me a small cuppa.]

Edit- my comment was on smitbret's post.

17. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    I just know that the training I just went over says that Genie is the public name for HR34.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeahhhhh......

You could call it a Genie DVR or Genie Server if that bothers you.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for the correct info on that. It makes a lot of sens to me, and I hope not many trip over it. (in either sense of the phrase!)

20. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    What training are you looking at? Everything I have seen directly from DirecTV has called the system "Genie" and the HR34 "Advanced Whole Home DVR".

I suppose it doesn't really matter. I know what the customer means when they use TiVo in place of a DVR, or what CSRs mean when they call the PI the SWM Box.