1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR34 Installation, how should this work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by adam1115, Jan 13, 2013.

1. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    So I'm getting an HR34. I currently have an HR23 and HR24. Where the HR34 is already has a single coax run to the splitter. (I have a SWM dish with a single cable to a splitter that splits to signal to two cable runs, one for each DVR).

What will the install look like with 9 tuners? I just want to make sure the installer does it right so I'm able to do 9 tuners with whole home and internet. Will they leave the same dish? Is there some sophisticated switch? Will a single coax support all 5 tuners on the HR34?

9 tuners blows my mind.

2. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    If you have an SWM dish they will need to swap it out for an SL3 (I think) and add an SWM-16. Then run another cable from the SWM-16 to one of the locations.

3. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Oh really? What's the difference.

4. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    The SWM dish can only support 8 tuners total. For more than 8, you need an SWM-16, which supports up to 16. There are no dishes with built-in support for more than 8. And you need the SL-3 or SL5 to feed an SWM-8 or SWM-16, with four coax cables connecting them. You can't do it from an SWM dish.

5. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Are the installers pretty good about upgrading it? Or will they try to leave me with 4 tuners on the HR34?

6. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    They're supposed to do all the equipment changes needed. DirecTV knows what equipment you have, how many tuners you have, and what's needed to make it all work.

7. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Cool. Thanks for the info! Always great to know what to expect or what questions to ask when they're here.

8. georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for the thread and answers. I've got a SWM and two existing HR2x. . .and they are coming out to HR34 me as well on Thursday, pushing me to 9 DVR tuners and 10 total tuners (with an additional HD non-DVR box). I'll know now to make sure there is a dish upgrade involved.

I'm getting near the end of my contract, but needed a new location in the house with a regular HD box. Called, and got the proverbial heckuvadeal to add an HR34 and whole-home (in exchange for a contract extension, of course).

I'm feeling sort of like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone with the Wind --to paraphase, "I'll never be short a tuner to record with again!".

9. sacflies

sacflies AllStar

Apr 10, 2012
    I had an HR34 installed Tuesday. I called and asked for a deal on an HR34 and 2 clients (out of contract), they wouldn't offer me a deal (asking $300 for the HR34) so I had them set me up with a cancellation date two weeks out. Next day they called and offered me the HR34 and 2 clintes for free, with free installation. Anyway, since this would put me over the 8 tuner limit for SWM 8 install, and I didn't really want a bunch more cables running over my front door that a SWM 16 install would require, he turned off one of the tuners on one of my HR24's (I have 2) in a little used bedroom setup. Didn't have to change anything and it is a much cleaner install. Now if only I could get the system working right. I can't play shows from the 2 HR24's on the HR34 or clients without a message popping up a few minutes in saying they have lost connection. Nothing ever seems to work as it should.

10. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Guys, just a quick question. Will the HR34 have one coax going to it for all 5 tuners? And no issues with a 2 TB eSATA drive?

Also, is there a screen to verify all tuners are working?

11. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    Yes, one SWM coax. And users here have reported using up to a 9TB raid drive with it.

Yes, the normal signal strength screen shows 5 tuners.

12. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Thanks, FlyDiver, you're a lifesaver!